7 week old Chick and Mum - safety issues!

Canine and Co

Songster
Jan 28, 2019
Hi all,

I have a hen with her 7 week old chick. The chick is virtually fully feathered and they have been in a separate housing for the last few weeks. My set up is that they have their own house and run within the existing hen area. This means for everyday of the chicks life she has been in full view of the other hens. She is now 7 weeks old, so I extended their area to allow them more freedom. However the Mum keeps flying over to be with the others and wants to sleep in the main hen house at night. The first time she did this, her chick was crying as she didn't know where she was (the chick had also jumped over), so I popped them both back in their little house. The next night - I found them both in the main hen house at bedtime and again the following night. So last night I left them there and made sure I was in there before the automatic door opened in the morning.

The chick seems happy enough roaming with the other hens (of which half are going through the annual moult), however I am sure with her mother around that they would all settle down ok, but will my cockerel or could he attack the little one?

Any advice would be welcome. 🙏 I have attached pics of the hen and chick.

Thank you. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5322.JPG
    IMG_5322.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5546.JPG
    IMG_5546.JPG
    777.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5706.JPG
    IMG_5706.JPG
    801.5 KB · Views: 10
I wouldn't worry too much. Cockerels and Roos can coexist just fine with babies. Especially with a mama hen to keep em in line. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your flock!

I wouldn't worry too much. Cockerels and Roos can coexist just fine with babies. Especially with a mama hen to keep em in line. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your flock!
Aww thank you so much for the kind words! The Mum is pretty determined to mingle again and they were back in there tonight on the perch below Alan Junior the Cockerel! I’ve raised the height of the feeders with layers in them and have another one for the chick with crumb and growers in - hopefully the others won’t pinch too much of it! They prefer free ranging tbh.
So I’ll see how it goes!
thanks again. 🤗

Aww thank you so much for the kind words! The Mum is pretty determined to mingle again and they were back in there tonight on the perch below Alan Junior the Cockerel! I’ve raised the height of the feeders with layers in them and have another one for the chick with crumb and growers in - hopefully the others won’t pinch too much of it! They prefer free ranging tbh.
So I’ll see how it goes!
thanks again. 🤗
Perfect!

I think you should let them stay with the flock if they seem happy, maybe check in a couple times to make sure no ones hurt. So nice of you to give them their own housing and be this cautious!
Thank you so much! That’s really nice of you to say.
I’ve been watching them over the last few days - she keeps taking her to bed with the rest of the flock (usual night time squabbles on who gets the favourite roost etc), but they all settle down! I’ve noticed she has started to go back to their run/area during the day! Thanks again for your advice! 😊

Back
Top Bottom