7 Week Old Orpington Shuffles

Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all,

I received 4 lavender orpington chicks from Meyer Hatchery the first week of February. All 15 chicks arrived healthy and were doing well until I noticed one was not growing as fast as the others. She is now about half the size of the rest and sort of hobbles when she walks, almost like she's stepping on her own toes and she goes very slowly. Here is the link to a video of her that shows what I'm talking about:

https://youtube.com/shorts/0GHklaGhac8

She has been seperated from the others for a few weeks now to ensure she's getting enough food and water. She is still in the brooder with a newer, smaller batch of chicks to keep her company for now. She's also been getting extra vitamins in her food and water.

What should I do??

Last edited:
I took the liberty of copying the URL off YouTube and pasting it here so all can view it here.

She appears healthy and alert, but walks as if her hips are compromised by something. Her balance seems normal, but she doesn't have full range of motion. Quite frankly, I haven't seen this problem before.

The fact that she's not progressing in normal growth may indicate genetic abnormalities. Her legs may be only what's visible. She may have organ abnormalities also. B-complex dissolved in her water can help strengthen her legs. High protein feedings of boiled egg and tofu may be able to goose her growth. High protein diet can be dangerous, so it needs to be undertaken for just a limited time, say a week or so.

Exercise is necessary to strengthen her thigh muscles. She needs a large area to encourage her to get around. Being with other chicks while she does this will encourage her. Removing her from her original mates probably wasn't the best idea since it's going to be rough on her trying to fit in with them. But if the current chicks are old enough to go outside, I would keep her with them and not try to integrate her back with the original group. Chicks can go outside from age two weeks as long as it's a nice day over 70F. You might try day trips for this younger group so they all can get exercise.

Thank you so much. This is the most helpful info I've received so far. I initially removed her from her group as I was sure she was going to be trampled. The others literally walked all over her. Is B complex typically available at drug stores? Or feed stores?

Back
Top Bottom