7 weeks old, time to move in w/ the flock?

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
I have 2, 7 week olds who have been out with the flock all day in the run & so far so good!!(finally!!) can I leave them out in the coop tonight with the big girls? (the big girls are 8, soon to be 2 yr olds) Everyone will have to perch together since I don't have graduated perch height, just one roost pole. They'll all fit w/ room to spare. I figure I'll put the little ones up on the roost after it gets dark, since I doubt they will do it on their own. Also, should I keep the pop door open (I usually do for the big girls) or close it so its a little warmer in the coop, but then they'll all be confined in the am.(till I get out there to open it up?)
What do you think??

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. We just got 4 new chicks and have 5, 1 year old hens. I am nervous as to how they will get along. How large is your run? What did you use for a larger brooder as they got larger? Sorry for all the questions. I hope someone has some good advice on this.

The run is 10x24, w a new 10x8 section that the little ones have been in for almost a month, so they have been able to see each other. I used a large tote, 50 gallon i think....

My chicks were 4 weeks old when put them in the coop They were kept apart from the older chickens but they could see each other Now at 6 weeks I let them loose with the others They get chased by the rooster and hens, sometimes an occasional peck From the advice I have read and been given by BYC members all situations are different I keep a watch during the day and at night everyone goes to their respective roost and sleeps until morning So far it hasn't been bad Just keep an eye on them

1 veteran, 1 roo, 3 hens 6 pullets 1 choc lab 1 very old cat

Babies did fine! They ended up sleeping on the floor of the coop in the shavings instead of up on the roost. Everyone was bopping around in the run this am, all nice & happy. Now they just need to figure out to go IN the coop at night, instead of crying at the door waiting for me to put them in. So happy that they are out of my dining room!!!

wee.gif

Sounds great. I'm thinking we will have to separate a space in the run. Our run is 12'X12' and only the 5 hens in there right now. We have an old kiddy pool that may work as a larger brooder. Thanks!

Forgot to ask what breed are the new ones?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom