7 wk Bar Rock and Buff Orp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kyzmette, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I thought they were girls, but I'm starting to worry they're boys. The Barred Rock had a very defined white thumbprint on its head as a hatchling. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They definitely are developing a comb, aren't they? I'd be leaning toward cockerel, too.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 7 weeks I think they're both pullets. I don't think the second bird is a buff orp, though, it looks like a Red bird of some type. Buffs are gold colored.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think they both warrant watching...the 7 week BR may well be a roo, keep watching the comb. Good news is there is no red to it, so it could be a maturing female.

Second bird likewise.

And 2nd bird is definitely not a Buff Orpington. It looks like a RIR or Production Red or something. Buff's are honey gold to daffodil gold. Never auburn or red.

Lady of McCamley

5. Kyzmette

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh, well that's a surprise. I was told Buff Orp when I got them. It won't bother me what breed they end up being. I'm just too attached to them to want them to be boys. And the Buff/Red is my granddaughter's, so I'd probably have to caponize them if they start crowing.

6. Kyzmette

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh, and thanks!

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Caponizing will not stop a rooster from crowing.

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes once a rooster starts crowing it becomes a habit, chemically or surgically altering them won't stop them crowing (unless you de-crow them - but they still go through the motions of crowing).

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

First of all, where did you get them? A breeder? A Hatchery? Makes all the difference.. That way we can assure the BR is pure (at least as pure as hatcheries get).

10. Kyzmette

Aug 28, 2013
    I had a hatchling emergency and needed some freshly hatched chicks ASAP, so I picked them up from a friend of a friend. Unfortunately, my one hatchling deceased but I still have these adorable packing peanuts. They weren't guaranteed to be anything specific, so I knew I was taking my chances. She said they were a Barred Rock and a Buff Orpington, but I have no idea where she got them from.

As for the crowing... I'm fine with them crowing, and I'm in the country so it's all good. The one roo I have isn't a loud crower. I would just prefer them to be a little less aggressive, and I don't have enough hens for two more roosters right now. My neighbors keep letting their dog kill my chickens and I'm almost finished with the dog-proof pen. A few raucous crowers backed up to their fence won't hurt my feelings at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by