72-hour old duckling - several issues.....NEED help!

TeachHatch

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I have a duckling that hatched about 3 days ago that came out with a large yolk sac. I think the shell might have had a weak spot because the duckling seemed to come out before it was ready. I didn't think that it would survive, but here it is at 3 days old. The poor thing has several problems.
1. The yolk sac absorbed down to the size of a very small marble and then got pretty hard. It is still there, but as of about an hour ago, it started leaking yellow.
2. The duckling has yet to be able to stand on its own. It is weak although getting stronger all the time. It went from not being able to even lift its head to putting weight on it's legs and standing on them if it is helped with balance. It cannot stand or walk on its own.
3. One of it's legs and foot is very awkward. Not sure how to describe it, but the foot tends to curl up and the leg wants to stick out toward the back. I wasn't even sure if they were lined up correctly on her body, but feeling her hip joints they seem to be matching. It can move the bum leg and the foot will flatten out normally occasionally. It seems to want to try and walk.

The duck is eating some and drinking. Is there anything I can do to help her (guessing on gender) out?? I'm giving her the electolite/vitamins in the water. We have been holding her upright so she is in a standing position and she is getting stronger, even pushing against my hand a bit as she flexes and straightens her legs.

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Could she be like a premie that needs more time to make milestones? Is there anyway that she could compensate for the leg issue? I want to help her so badly....especially as she has survived so far!

Back
Top Bottom