75 chickens how much space do you reccomend?

Dances with Chickens

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
how big should my coop be to house 75 chickens They will have pasture to graze during daylight hours. Exactly how large each pasture used for rotation will be, is yet to be determined. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chicken Dancer

A 16 foot by 20 foot coop will do nicely, are you going to free range or have them in a run?

75x4=300 square feet

a 16' x 20' coop will give you 320 square feet.

If you want it square, you could make it 18x18. With that many hens, you might want to think about rounding the corners so they dont shove each other in the corners. Just an idea I was throwing out. BTW, what type/s of chickens are you going to get?

Yea when you have a lot of chickens , there might be problems with crowding in corners. I only have 10 so that doesnt happen in my coop but I do suggest that they should be at least partially rounded if not fully rounded in each corner. It all depends on the setup of the coop.

I have a 10x10 coop that houses 40 hens. I have never had any problems like fighting, feather picking etc. I actually think they stay warmer in winter with less space.

They have plenty of perch space at night and during the day they are all either in the attached enclosed run or free ranging for a few hours.

Based on "Day Range Poultry", by Andy Lee and Patricia Foreman, they recommend the following criteria for designing day range poultry shelters:
Broilers - 1.2 square feet of shelter space with at least 5 square feet of pasture
Laying Hens - 1 square foot per hen
Turkeys - 4 -5 square feet per bird

ive heard you are supposed to have 4.5 feet per bird. you do the math!
old.gif

The 4 foot per bird rule is for birds who don;t get out during the day, since you are letting them out for the day time they really only need enough room that they will not fight ferociously for perch space.

Back
Top Bottom