What do you recommend?

Whenever you cook burgers, bacon, whatever - put some oatmeal in the greasy pan when you're done. It will soak up all the grease AND become a chicken favorite. They know full well when I'm carrying the oatmeal bowl out to the run. And don't buy premade flock blocks - everyone and their sister has a recipe on line.

Hey there! I’m new to owning chickens. I have 3 Rhode Island Red chicks, and 3 Barnevelder chicks. I’m going to turn an old wooden play house into the chicken coop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Since it’s my first time having chickens, any suggestions will help. I am going to cut a hole in the wall under the window leading to the run, I am going to add sand to the floor, nesting boxes on the bunks, and a roost somewhere. What else would I need?

Any suggestions for the run as well? I have about 4 feet by 14 feet of space for the run. What should I make it out of? I heard chicken wire was good. I’m trying to go cheep as possible, but safe and functional.

I also want to get Brahmas later, so would that impact how big I need the chicken door to be? How big should a regular chicken door be?
Please use hardware cloth. It may cost a little more, but your chickens will be safe. No worries!

I have a converted playhouse coop and a big covered run. My hens are locked in the coop at night and I have hardware cloth over the windows (it has three windows).
That is an expense I would not skimp on. I also put plexiglass storms on the windows in the winter. The hens appreciate it.

I use steel welded wire fencing with 2 x 3 inch openings for the run and I was able to get enough by scavenging. If you have a local buy nothing group, I would ask there. People get rid of this type of fencing all the time around me. Mine is four feet high and all installed by zip ties with bamboo posts and beams cut from a neighbor's yard. (with their permission!) The only problem with the run is that chicks could escape through the openings, so I had to put chicken wire around the bottom was I was raising little ones.

I would recommend an automatic door to the coop. This has without a doubt been the best purchase I have made. It wasn't cheap, but my coop and run were almost free, so there's that. I have a "Pullet Shut" door from Chickendoors.com. I've had it for 10 years maybe and it's still going strong, although it's not maintenance free, mostly because I use a sand floor which makes a lot of dust. I have to clean it from time to time. It's solar powered and it's taken a bit to keep things from eating the wiring. Just when I thought I've solved the problem, a mouse finds a spot I've left exposed. I've gotten really good with the soldering iron now.

I use branches for the roosts - also free and I put a 12 inch cabinet sideways through one of the walls for nest boxes. Someone was throwing the cabinet out. Of course, the girls prefer to lay anywhere but in the nest boxes, but I think that's them, not the boxes. Everyday is like an Easter egg hunt here!

I use branches for the roosts - also free and
I stopped using branches because if there is bark on it, its a perfect place to hide for red mites.

Of course, the girls prefer to lay anywhere but in the nest boxes, but I think that's them, not the boxes.
Maybe a few people can help if you describe the situation and post pics of the setup ?

I don’t know the square footage, but I can find out later. We have another room to the playhouse, but I don’t want to use it. It would double the space they have in their coop, but it would be much more expensive, and we are on a budget. Is using the other room worth it?

How should I ventilate?

We might be able to, but it would take up half of our backyard. I will see what I can do.

I will look into this.

(In picture) The second room is on the left, the one I want to use is on the right.

Thanks!
The space is necessary to prevent the chickens from getting 'testy' (putting it lightly) with each other. If they have a respectable amount of space there will be no arguing/fussing/fighting for space and food, etc. No need for intense dominance wars, etc... Much like ourselves, if we were living on top of each other. 4x14=56 for 6 chickens (6x10=60) in the run, technically could work, but any more space you can give them will pay off for you and them. Plus- honestly- I love sitting in with them and hanging out in the run, especilly after crazy or long work days, etc. My family does too. Giving them half the yard is opening up the fun for everyone. Chickens love to sit on your lap, snuggle, get love and attention... perch on your shoulder, you name it. When I can't let them out because no one is home or the weather, I know they are not stressing, and are happy- like I am when I am stuck at home or weather conditions bind me. I dare say it will be worth it.

Practical, budget friendly, experience here.
That playhouse should be large enough for 6 chickens. Don't add more if you stick with those breeds.
Barnvelders are active, flighty hens. RR's are as well but Barnvelders can REALLY like their active space. I've had 8 hens in a space about that size but the Barnvelders were cranky at the lack of space when they had to be inside. So make very sure you have adequate outside run area or they'll suffer for it.
As for interior? Perch space, so that they all have room to sit on the perch without touching.(They WILL touch, friendly hens like to snuggle each other, but it's important that if two or three are feuding they can comfortably sit without touching) Ventilation, you can easily cut that in. Just look for "bird blocks" for a house attic and use a couple of those at the eves of the house.
Cut some nest box spaces on the side so you can easily get to them from outside. (Trust me, you want outside nest box access)
Hardwire over chicken wire. Chicken wire, as someone else commented only keeps hens in, not predators out.
Make sure you can either access under the coop or have some serious hardwire under and around it, rats, foxes, skunks and other pests will want under there for easy access at the birds.
Personally I think that would make a great coop but just don't get caught with chicken math and over crowd it.

Back
Top Bottom