What do you recommend?

That’s a cool house, it’s like a play house duplex :p

Looks maybe 6x6 inside, so 36sq/ft which is more than enough coop space for the 6 and a nest box somewhere inside. If you're cutting a chicken door into the front under the window, maybe add ventilation up higher on the opposite wall/back wall for cross ventilation; you also still have the other two windows for air.

What shape will the run be when you mentioned 4ft x 16ft? Are you using the depth of the structure too? I would try to maybe add the fencing between the human door and window/chicken door, coming out around 4ft toward the camera, then add your 16ft beyond the end of the building to the right. If using that building's ~6ft depth that would give you a nice size run around 10x16, plus the space in front of the coop around 4x4. That's near 30sq/ft for each of the 6 chickens - plenty of space to be very comfortable and not overcrowded; personally I think the minimum requirement of 10sq/ft per bird run space is quite cramped (I sized my stuff based on 30-40sq/ft each so nobody picks on one another)

I’d make run tall enough to stand inside, even if it cost more in buying another roll of fencing and a few more stick of lumber, it’s worth it IMO. If you fully fenced the run for predators, you won't be able to use the above space anyway, so might as well make it tall enough to go inside. Definitely use hardware cloth, at least for the bottom perimeter and anti-dig apron. Welded wire for the rest is a good choice for strength, but hardware cloth everywhere will keep pretty much everything small like rats or snakes out; I used chicken wire for my overhead only because I had a roll I was never going to use, it's fairly strong IMO, only the largest predators could get through it unless it's old and rusty (Just yesterday I was removing the chicken wire from the bottom of our rabbit tractor, which has been in ground contact for 3yrs and it was VERY hard for me to try and bust off by hand or even by kicking it - I still had to use dykes to remove all my fastened areas)

If you get real weather or have a lot of sun exposure, I’d consider some solid roof on part of the run, but that may add complications to the design.

Good luck!

That’s a cool house, it’s like a play house duplex :p

Looks maybe 6x6 inside, so 36sq/ft which is more than enough coop space for the 6 and a nest box somewhere inside. If you're cutting a chicken door into the front under the window, maybe add ventilation up higher on the opposite wall/back wall for cross ventilation; you also still have the other two windows for air.

What shape will the run be when you mentioned 4ft x 16ft? Are you using the depth of the structure too? I would try to maybe add the fencing between the human door and window/chicken door, coming out around 4ft toward the camera, then add your 16ft beyond the end of the building to the right. If using that building's ~6ft depth that would give you a nice size run around 10x16, plus the space in front of the coop around 4x4. That's near 30sq/ft for each of the 6 chickens - plenty of space to be very comfortable and not overcrowded; personally I think the minimum requirement of 10sq/ft per bird run space is quite cramped (I sized my stuff based on 30-40sq/ft each so nobody picks on one another)

I’d make run tall enough to stand inside, even if it cost more in buying another roll of fencing and a few more stick of lumber, it’s worth it IMO. If you fully fenced the run for predators, you won't be able to use the above space anyway, so might as well make it tall enough to go inside. Definitely use hardware cloth, at least for the bottom perimeter and anti-dig apron. Welded wire for the rest is a good choice for strength, but hardware cloth everywhere will keep pretty much everything small like rats or snakes out; I used chicken wire for my overhead only because I had a roll I was never going to use, it's fairly strong IMO, only the largest predators could get through it unless it's old and rusty (Just yesterday I was removing the chicken wire from the bottom of our rabbit tractor, which has been in ground contact for 3yrs and it was VERY hard for me to try and bust off by hand or even by kicking it - I still had to use dykes to remove all my fastened areas)

If you get real weather or have a lot of sun exposure, I’d consider some solid roof on part of the run, but that may add complications to the design.

Good luck!
I will try and get more photos later. There is a door to the coop for me in the front, and there will be a door for the chickens under the window by the bunks. The other window on the same side of the door and won’t be used, accept for ventilation. The run will be on the right, not in front of the coop. Each window has bars, so I might just add chicken wire or hardware cloth over it.
What shape will the run be when you mentioned 4ft x 16ft?
It will be a rectangle. I want to make it high enough for me (5 foot 6) to walk in and have plenty of room above my head.

My chickens love to dig already, so I would have to build something to stop them from digging out. How did you build yours?

Thanks you for the help!

I will try and get more photos later. There is a door to the coop for me in the front, and there will be a door for the chickens under the window by the bunks. The other window on the same side of the door and won’t be used, accept for ventilation. The run will be on the right, not in front of the coop. Each window has bars, so I might just add chicken wire or hardware cloth over it.

It will be a rectangle. I want to make it high enough for me (5 foot 6) to walk in and have plenty of room above my head.

My chickens love to dig already, so I would have to build something to stop them from digging out. How did you build yours?

Thanks you for the help!
Did someone mention you need to make an apron with hwc around the run? Or dig a trench to get the hwc almost 2” in the ground if you want to keep predators out.

I agree the run space is a limiting factor thus far. Scrap your plans for Brahmas, you are already over your limit for birds in the proposed run space, plus it's narrow, which makes integration much more difficult.
If you ever consider an automatic pop door its better to make the pop door beside the window to have space to pull the thread.
Depending on the exact type of pop door and how much space there is between pop door and window, it can work with it right under the window, but it is a good point. I have my pop door under a window and when it's open the door is pretty much right up against the motor, very little extra clearance.
I don’t know if that’s enough ventilation alone, everyone is saying that I should have more.
In a hot climate, you want to aim for at least 2-3 sq ft ventilation per bird, open 24/7.

Here are more photos, the run will be on the right of the coop.

The chicken door will be under the window in the second picture. Im planning on having the run stretch over the whole side of the yard and stopping at the end of the wall. It will be as wide as the playhouse - almost 7 feet wide. It will be almost 27 feet long as well. I want it as tall as the wall, so over 5 feet 1/2 feet. Is this space still too small for 6 chickens?

Attachments

• 917EDDBB-A9FE-40FF-98D3-FD900ECC917D.jpeg
    917EDDBB-A9FE-40FF-98D3-FD900ECC917D.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5B9C378F-76FA-4EEB-8E2E-80A2AE0C4B35.jpeg
    5B9C378F-76FA-4EEB-8E2E-80A2AE0C4B35.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E780DB34-887E-465E-A1BE-D885590BDAB4.jpeg
    E780DB34-887E-465E-A1BE-D885590BDAB4.jpeg
    860.1 KB · Views: 13
Im planning on having the run stretch over the whole side of the yard and stopping at the end of the wall. It will be as wide as the playhouse - almost 7 feet wide. It will be almost 27 feet long as well. I want it as tall as the wall, so over 5 feet 1/2 feet. Is this space still too small for 6 chickens?
7x27 will give you 189 sq ft, so that would be plenty for 6.

Hey there! I’m new to owning chickens. I have 3 Rhode Island Red chicks, and 3 Barnevelder chicks. I’m going to turn an old wooden play house into the chicken coop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Since it’s my first time having chickens, any suggestions will help. I am going to cut a hole in the wall under the window leading to the run, I am going to add sand to the floor, nesting boxes on the bunks, and a roost somewhere. What else would I need?

Any suggestions for the run as well? I have about 4 feet by 14 feet of space for the run. What should I make it out of? I heard chicken wire was good. I’m trying to go cheep as possible, but safe and functional.

I also want to get Brahmas later, so would that impact how big I need the chicken door to be? How big should a regular chicken door be?
Chicken wire’s holes are too big-use rat wire or I guess it is called hardware cloth. The holes are tiny squares. Having had all sorts of rodent problems with my coop/run, I’d say line the bottom of the house and run with rat wire AND sink wire down into the ground around the whole palace/run. I have a great chicken door that has a timer for opening and closing. I think it is about 1’x2’. Mine are fat Buff Orpingtons. I set the closing time for after dark as I fear one of the girls getting locked out!

Hey there! I’m new to owning chickens. I have 3 Rhode Island Red chicks, and 3 Barnevelder chicks. I’m going to turn an old wooden play house into the chicken coop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Since it’s my first time having chickens, any suggestions will help. I am going to cut a hole in the wall under the window leading to the run, I am going to add sand to the floor, nesting boxes on the bunks, and a roost somewhere. What else would I need?

Any suggestions for the run as well? I have about 4 feet by 14 feet of space for the run. What should I make it out of? I heard chicken wire was good. I’m trying to go cheep as possible, but safe and functional.

I also want to get Brahmas later, so would that impact how big I need the chicken door to be? How big should a regular chicken door be?
This is a great set up!! I had a play fort, and was able to have a summer and winter coop from it. Some tips- chickens like to roost high-up, so best to put nest boxes down low, roost bars up higher... or else they will roost in the nest box and fill them with poopies. Along this line, put a cover over the nest boxes to block the droppings. Roost bars should allow 1ft per chicken, rounded edges- a 2x2 from lowes, or even better- a big branch from outside/tree. No metal or sharp edges. Door- 12x12 or a touch bigger is a good door size. They will all try to shove through any size you make it. For 6-9 hens about 3-4 nest boxes should do well, they will all end up wanting the same one anyway, but will begrudgingly learn to take turns or share. As for a run I believe there is a measure- 10ft per chicken? You will be glad to have a covered run when you are working with them in winter, they will be happy too. Green stakes and welded wire work and are flexible/mobile to rearrange, wire is a good place to put the money... no sense in any of it if they get killed by a raccoon or dog, etc. and all these animals can get through chicken wire. My husband just made a wooden run frame for me- and it is good, stationary, and prob the same price in the long run. I orig had fence pipes and weld wire, moved well. I wish you the best!!! Youtube- Becky's homestead helped me in all ways, and Oak Abode, and they are so pleasant!

Back
Top Bottom