What do you recommend?

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
Hey there! I’m new to owning chickens. I have 3 Rhode Island Red chicks, and 3 Barnevelder chicks. I’m going to turn an old wooden play house into the chicken coop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Since it’s my first time having chickens, any suggestions will help. I am going to cut a hole in the wall under the window leading to the run, I am going to add sand to the floor, nesting boxes on the bunks, and a roost somewhere. What else would I need?

Any suggestions for the run as well? I have about 4 feet by 14 feet of space for the run. What should I make it out of? I heard chicken wire was good. I’m trying to go cheep as possible, but safe and functional.

I also want to get Brahmas later, so would that impact how big I need the chicken door to be? How big should a regular chicken door be?

Attachments

• D61078F2-7028-40D8-ADC9-E167E2AE9839.png
    D61078F2-7028-40D8-ADC9-E167E2AE9839.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 88F4CA0F-2D30-4FB4-9273-EA4704437915.png
    88F4CA0F-2D30-4FB4-9273-EA4704437915.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
What is the square footage of the playhouse?
You should have 3.5-4 sq ft of floor space, not including the nest boxes, and 1 linear foot of roost space per bird in the coop. You should shoot for 15 sqft per bird in the run.
What else would I need?
Ventilation.
I have about 4 feet by 14 feet
You don't have enough space. Can you double this size?
I heard chicken wire was good.
You heard wrong.
Practically anything can tear through chicken wire. All it really does is keep chickens contained, but not protected. If you want them protected use 1/2" hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I agree with above post. spend the extra money and use 1/2" hardware cloth on the entire run including making a predator apron. Cover any openings, like windows or vents in the coop with that too. You're not saving any money by using cheap chicken wire if something rips thru it and kills all your chickens that you've spent time and money on raising. I made an inner door on my coop that was a converted old shed and it really helps with ventilation too. Wasn't that hard to make.
coop inner door.JPG

What is the square footage of the playhouse?
You should have 3.5-4 sq ft of for space, not including the nest boxes, and 1 linear foot of roost space per bird in the coop. You should shoot for 15 sqft per bird in the run.
I don’t know the square footage, but I can find out later. We have another room to the playhouse, but I don’t want to use it. It would double the space they have in their coop, but it would be much more expensive, and we are on a budget. Is using the other room worth it?
Ventilation.
How should I ventilate?
You don't have enough space. Can you double this size?
We might be able to, but it would take up half of our backyard. I will see what I can do.
You heard wrong.
Practically anything can tear through chicken wire. All it really does is keep chickens contained, but protected. If you want them protected use 1/2" hardware cloth.
I will look into this.

(In picture) The second room is on the left, the one I want to use is on the right.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 320F826C-02FC-4F68-BD44-5A899804D479.png
    320F826C-02FC-4F68-BD44-5A899804D479.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
I saved money by making my outdoor chicken run only a couple of feet tall. It minimizes the material need but of course the drawbacks are there... one can't walk or hang out in it, have to crouch down to get in there if I need to, etc. It is fully enclosed so jumping/flying out isn't a concern.

I'm not exactly recommending this approach, and it's not picturesque, just putting it out there as a safe compromise to spend less on materials. You may be able to find lumber for free.

If you ever consider an automatic pop door its better to make the pop door beside the window to have space to pull the thread.
Also look carefully at which of the short studs under the window are there to support the wall. I recommend NOT cutting any of those, fit the pop door between the studs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom