7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Just got the premier brooding plate...the small one. I also got the top. That old heat lamp always scared the bejesus out of me! The electric savings on the plate is a serious bonus!
The chicks do very well under them too.

This is one of my frizzles that I hatched for the Halloween Hatch A Long. Taken a few weeks ago. Getting the top frizzies now. :)

love.gif

Also hatching our own eggs. Our production is down by half since it's winter, and our most brilliant hen just started her molt. (We've been snow to 17' and have had two ice storms and a heary snow storm already- so ya know, time to go naked.)

We have lavender orp,welsummer, olive eggers, ameraucana, blue laced.red wyandotte, light sussex, french blue marans, copper marans, speckled marans, and a buff orp, and a rir cross.
Gorgeous eggs! I hope to have a similar basket some day! What breeds do you have?

Edit: I was so enraptured by the picture that I didn't notice you had the breeds listed. Haha!

Last edited:
Just got the premier brooding plate...the small one. I also got the top. That old heat lamp always scared the bejesus out of me! The electric savings on the plate is a serious bonus!
My day-old chicks are loving their Sweeter Heater... and so am I!!! I would never, ever use a heat lamp over combustible material. That's just asking for trouble!!!

That has got to be one of the cutest chicken mama pictures i have ever seen! I love the faverolles and have been hunting down a source for hens for ages. Seems everyone sells out fast with the pullets, and i always lose the egg auctions (until now!). I bet, being a bantam, that she is even cuter than the regular size.

Thank you! Here's a really cute one of her too, with more babies showing up.

Last edited:
Quote: I agree. I think they feather out faster, which means ready to go outside earlier. My chicks generally only stay under it for the first couple of days and then spend more and more time out from under it exploring their world. They do go under it to sleep at night for the first couple of weeks, but after that, I often find them sleeping on top of it. And without a light on 24/7, they quickly learn to sleep all night which means quiet at night. It I hear more than a very quiet, content chirp at night, I know that something is wrong that needs to be checked.

Back
Top Bottom