7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

It is finally here!!! :weee :celebrate And it is loud!! LOL!!! Bonus, four more pips and I actually witnessed on is the pips happen.

(I am having trouble getting the picture to post. So, I will get it up later)

Congratulations funny on the noise level mine have been unusually quiet. Even my wife commented on how quite they were. Now if I had just remembered to turn the alarm clock off before going to bed.

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year!
(I guess I forgot to wish it last night...I was so tired, I had my brain turned off I guess...lol)

I'm SO far behind...thought I better post and then go back and catch up!

UPDATE: One little OEGB last night...and 3 Easter Eggers out this morning. 3 are zipping and I see 2 more pips! Picture time!!

Little fellow to the left is the OEGB.
The guy in front with the red head...rooster! I'd bet money on it. My red's are always roosters.
The buff color's from one of the chicks I bought last summer. She's stopped laying at the moment but I'm really happy I have a chick from her!
love.gif

All stragglers are out now. Some had to be helped. Don't usually but they were shipped and did not want to loose any that could be helped.
So out of 18 shipped eggs 10 made it out. Not dry yet but out whew! 5 of 18 not fertile 3 were quitters. Really happy with results of shipped eggs.
Two of my extra eggs were Bresse 8 are Altsteirer at least that's what I think I saw there was a lot of flopping going on.
Of the eggs I put in from my birds the one Marans hatched the eleven lavender Orpington's were not fertile. On a positive note I'm starting to see some bull eyes on the yolk of the Orpington's now.

That is pretty great for shipped eggs, to get 8 chicks of the breed you want! Glad to hear the orp roo may be figuring things out!

That is pretty great for shipped eggs, to get 8 chicks of the breed you want! Glad to hear the orp roo may be figuring things out!

Agreed on shipped eggs results. I've had zero before from shorter distances and that's a huge let down. Now for just 2 good roosters. Hahaha
Lavender Orpington's may be next hatch. Not sure but it will be awhile. Pen space is getting limited

Humidity is at 69% right now.

Nice!

Humidity in my hatcher has been 63 to 67%--It goes up as they hatch.
My first 2016 chickie!

D.gif
woot.gif

My New Years Baby Chick! 2016 Her name is EVE! She hatched right after midnight

Cute!

Keep the humidity up!

Still have 11 chicks and 4 eggs in the 'bator, looks like one of my eggs is pipped though
woot.gif
I need to go check mine--Just had Chorizo potatoes, eggs, bacon and a left over roll I made.

Last edited:
I woke up to two baby chicks that hatched out during the night! 2 out of 14! I've got a bunch more that are starting to pip too! I cant wait for them to fluff up so i can get them outa there, Worried about the other eggs, the chicks knocked the other eggs around and the pips are toward the bottoms.
Congrats!

My first New Years chic was about 0445 local time and the second about 0700 -- my darkest egg hatched a light down naked neck. My first naked neck is fluffing up and there does appear to be a bowtie
Oh that is nice!

I have 12 chicks now, but I concerned about one. It has a larger than normal head and it's feet are in front of it. It seems top heavy. I took pictures and a video. HELP!
Someone likely already posted, but make a brace from a rubber band, bandage or etc. Leave it on for a day or two and the joint will go back together. It is called spradle leg and you need to do this right away.

Last edited:
Up to 7 pips!!! I am a bit concerned about one of them. I see a small blood spot where the chick pipped. I think it pipped through a vein. Will it be okay? The blood spot is rather tiny...

Back
Top Bottom