7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I am hatching from my own! I have barred rock, white rock, black fethered leg cross of some sort, blue americana, wheaten americana, and wellsummer. For roosters i have a Barred rock, blue americana, wheaten americana, welsummer, and a barred rock/ well summer as a test on making Welbars. The eggs I will put in will all be barn yard blends because I currently do not have them separated. I had 2 months of NO eggs. I figured they stopped for molting. Well, after too much time passed, I changed things up. I got extra calcium. I am treating for worms and cocci (we saw blood in poop....AGAIN). I also put lights in their coops 24/7. It took a couple weeks but it started with one egg, then 3 eggs, then 5, 7, 8, and it is still going up. So, that is what is going on here. I live in central NH...no so yet...YAY!

NH here too!
frow.gif
Sounds like you have a great mix of chickens. Im not getting eggs either, but I don't provide them with lights. Im hoping my Barred Rocks start laying soon, they are 29weeks old.

So thankful there is no snow yet, the temps have been quite decent too. I really need to try to put some shavings in the coops today and maybe rake a little.

Yeah, it was nice of them. I just wanted to try this once without a huge outlay. If I can do it and like it I may invest in one. I also think it will help me know what I want in one if I buy one.

Who else is collecting the eggs from their own hens? I'm only getting 1 chicken egg per day and 2 quail. I might not hatch a lot. Lol

I am hatching from my own! I have barred rock, white rock, black fethered leg cross of some sort, blue americana, wheaten americana, and wellsummer. For roosters i have a Barred rock, blue americana, wheaten americana, welsummer, and a barred rock/ well summer as a test on making Welbars. The eggs I will put in will all be barn yard blends because I currently do not have them separated. I had 2 months of NO eggs. I figured they stopped for molting. Well, after too much time passed, I changed things up. I got extra calcium. I am treating for worms and cocci (we saw blood in poop....AGAIN). I also put lights in their coops 24/7. It took a couple weeks but it started with one egg, then 3 eggs, then 5, 7, 8, and it is still going up. So, that is what is going on here. I live in central NH...no so yet...YAY!

Please don't leave a light on for 24 hours. They need sleep.

Also hatching our own eggs. Our production is down by half since it's winter, and our most brilliant hen just started her molt. (We've been snow to 17' and have had two ice storms and a heary snow storm already- so ya know, time to go naked.)

We have lavender orp,welsummer, olive eggers, ameraucana, blue laced.red wyandotte, light sussex, french blue marans, copper marans, speckled marans, and a buff orp, and a rir cross.

Also hatching our own eggs. Our production is down by half since it's winter, and our most brilliant hen just started her molt. (We've been snow to 17' and have had two ice storms and a heary snow storm already- so ya know, time to go naked.)

We have lavender orp,welsummer, olive eggers, ameraucana, blue laced.red wyandotte, light sussex, french blue marans, copper marans, speckled marans, and a buff orp, and a rir cross.

Those are some nice eggs!

I will be hatching mine and a few EE. Like I said before anyone near SW Missouri wanting eggs I am getting plenty from my RIR, BR, and buff/EE's to share.

Yesterday, I got 14 swedish flower hens eggs unrelated to my other SFH's. These are German line. I went ahead and set those, 9 isabelle leghorns and 2 blue copper marans, from my new roo, last night. That's 25 in my Octo. 20 brinsea. One of the SFH eggs had a crack, so I'm undecided about trying to stack them or just taking it out. Since I'm early do you still need my setting numbers?

Tonight 6 isbars, 3 SFH, 2 black CM, and 10 isabelle leghorns go into lockdown. I may have a hatching problem! Will post pictures!

Back
Top Bottom