7Year old Muscovy hen acting strange

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16-17
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
One of my muscoviy hens is acting strange, she will walk in circles then lay down, the other day when she was doing this she acted diorentied, and when i picked her up and waved my hand in front of her I really don't think she was seeing. she was like this for most of the morning, I put some nutri drench in some of her water hoping it would help. Then today i was sitting on the patio watching every one and here she goes again walking in circles then at break neck speed with her body low to the ground like she was chasing something she woukld take off. she didn't fly just moving really fast. when she ran up to her sisters they all started their muscovy thing making noise and walking together, she seemed to calm down some, she is eating and drinking, but I moved her to her own little spot in their house so the other girls wouldn't pick on her over night. other than that they all free range together, but am keeping her inside the large fenced in area till I know she is okay. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? i have looked on line and in Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks and don't see anything. I am thinking maybe seizure? I just don't know.

I'm sorry to hear she isn't doing well. The only things that come to mind when dealing with walking in circles are blindness and neurological disorders. I sure hope someone has some advice for you.

Quote:
Thanks Diana. she is now just as calm as ever, it is so weird, but I do think it could be neurological, maybe duck alzheimers? I have 1 drake older than her by 1 year but first time I have ever had ducks this age, her and her 2 sisters were 3 months old when i got them. Will just hope what ever it is will pass, there are no vets in our area who treat water fowl.

this could be similar but in a dog. i have and old little dog we adopted from a pound. if he runs around too much he falls over, like he's super dizzy. the vet said its either neurological or his heart isnt getting enough blood to his brain whilst he is moving around too quick.

Thank ya'll for your replies, this morning she is acting normal, well normal for a muscovy, lol walking around ,eating so Hopefully we can just take it one day at a time.
Is 7 years old for a duck?

Last edited:
Quote:
u said she's 7 and thats getting on in years for a duck. i think she's ready to eeeerrrrrrrrrr....... go to the great pond in the sky. 7 is a good age for a duck so don't feel bad if she does

Quote:
u said she's 7 and thats getting on in years for a duck. i think she's ready to eeeerrrrrrrrrr....... go to the great pond in the sky. 7 is a good age for a duck so don't feel bad if she does

She might be ready, I just want her to have a nice quite pain free entry. they are very special.

Back
Top Bottom