8-9 month old warren hen puffed up & sitting alone....

GoogyWIthers

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Hi all. I have 3 warrens and one of them this morning laid an extra large egg in her nest box, then she has just been sat at the bottom of the garden on her own all puffed up with her tail down. Her normal daily routine is to go out in the morning and then go back and lay then roam all day. She is really docile and not bothered by contact today were as normally she is off and running when i show food or try and touch her. I have brought her in to the house to keep obs on her. She respondes to me clucking at her but just sits in the box or on the floor and has started shaking her head in a twitch kind of movement.. Any ideas as i don't know what to do????? Thanks in advanced. Matt

Last edited:
After much deliberation i believe i have come to the conclusion that after rubbing her crop she may have had a little constipation as she exploded with poo. Last night she was out and went in the nest box and growled when i approached but was not vicious. Therefore i believe she is a broody hen. Kicked her out this morning as trying to break her from the broodiness. If this is a fail she will get some eggs to incubate. I hope if anyone else gets an issue similar to this they will get more of a response but hey its all a learning curve :)

Back
Top Bottom