8 eggs set and go!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kleonaptra, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

I wanted it high because they have pipped? I have two internal pips one external pip. I was going to get it down until I saw the pips then I let it rip...membrane on the duck I assisted was very dry. He's still just got a tiny hole, no progress. I'm really worried I'm going to have to move the Bator its going to be hot again

2. Kleonaptra

Hydrometer says 86% and 38.7 the Bator still says 37.2 remember I'm auzzie, its Celsius! The paper towel has gone bone dry and peeper is peeping but made no progress

3. Kleonaptra

Ok, you get that I put the ice in because it was 103F right? I knew humidity would go up but I figured it was worth the risk verse cooking them.
    I've wrapped the Bator in a cold towel, the hydro says 99% with temp 36.3C the Bator still says 37.2C I think that's pretty good considering ambient temp is 34C and will get to 37C today.

I made peepers hole a bit bigger. He's doing fine, peeping away. The membrane looked a bit dark I wasn't sure if it was just dark or red so left it at that for now. Its a dark duck!

I'm trying not to disturb conditions so I cant tell I theres any more external pips but there were definitely 2 internals yesterday

4. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Kleo, a temp of 36-37 is a little low if you're using a still air incubator. It should be more like 38. That humidity is very, very high. I'd try to bring it down to no more than 70. Easy to bring the humidity down by just opening the incubator for a couple of minutes, but that's going to lower your temp as well, and I don't know what options you have to get that back up. How are things going now?

5. Kleonaptra

The temp is getting near 40 outside. The walls of the laundry - where the Bator is - are hot to touch from the inside. I cant risk raising the temp at all, opening the Bator will raise it too much. I think the hydrometer must be lying, it says 99% but its dry as hell in there, shells are like baked clay and membranes like leather. I don't think its a 'still' air, it has a fan? Both temps are reading closer now, 37.2 on the Bator and 37.5 on the other.

6. Kleonaptra

All the eggs are wobbling and I think I've got a second external pip. The heatwave will break tonight or tomorrow morning I just have to try and keep it steady till then. Its just so hard for the next few hours.

7. Kleonaptra

Ok, I still think its waay too dry in there but I took the lid off for a few mins and had a candle. Two had just barely external pipped so I made little safe holes for them. Peeper is peeping away, he's made his hole a little bigger. Movement in all other eggs but one, that last one still has good veins and isn't ready for internal pip yet I think.
    Hydrometer says 95% with temp 37.7 and rising steadily. Bator says 37.2
    You realize tomorrow its going to be 24 and I will have to worry about keeping them warm! I ordered a new fitting for my brooder light and hubby hasn't wired it up yet. I also have my top female call Leelu in my brooder/sick bay with a pecked eye. Even more fun? Washing machine picked today to overflow

8. Kleonaptra

Got humidity down to 80% one temp days 37.7 and rising. I'm going to have a fight on my hands until 4 pm

9. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    The 37 range is fine for hatching in a forced air incubator, and I'm eager to see your babies. (Probably not as eager as you are!)

10. Kleonaptra

I've managed to keep humidity around 80% it really wants to go higher, which is weird, cos its been low most of the hatch. With the afternoon heat revving up one temp says 38 to 39 the Bator says 37.5
    I'm in sacrilege territory....im not supposed to be opening the lid at all and I keep doing it! A few minutes is all that's needed to get humidity down a bit and temps stabilized. Pipped babies seem ok, first peeper still moving but not making further progress, every now and then I see pip two and three have a wriggle.
    Its really exciting I've seen so many internal pips this time, my new candling torch is hum dinger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by