8 Happy Chickens or Sick Chickens?

SweetPeaScott

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Here are the symptoms...they are quiet (very little peeping, I have to visually see them to make sure they are there), they are not real active but do scratch occasionally, they like to lay next to each other (they keep their heads up but not fully extended), they sit in my hands when I pick them up and don't try to get away, they eat and drink though not as much since they moved outside, they don't stink and eat out of my hand when I bring them sunflower seeds.

Am I doing this right?..it seems really easy... food, water, clean pine shaving bedding, a solid coop, a large run. What am I missing?

How old are your chicks? Are they on medicated feed? If they are really that quiet then they might not be feeling quite well. If they are young and out on dirt for the first time they might have coccidiosis. Have you seen any blood in thier poop? Cocci is pretty common in chicks when they hit the ground for the first time. It is easily treated with Corid.

7 weeks old, they were vaccinated when I got them, no medicated feed, no bloody poop, 40 square foot wood coop with 3 windows in the NC shade around 85+ degrees inside.

Sounds like they are very happy chicks. My BO chicks were very quiet...was constantly going out to check on them in their brooder because they were so quiet.

Keep up the good work.
frow.gif

Sounds like there pretty happy! I know I was just like you when my chicks came. I had researched for months and months and months. But when I got them I was like, "OMG this is soooo easy I think I'm doing something wrong!" But it really isn't as hard as everyone thinks.

Back
Top Bottom