8 month old Silkie

Clrflowers

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
I'm almost embarrassed to out this up.... but too baffled not to. This "hen" is about 8 months old. She doest lay eggs or crow and shows behaviors that one day convince me she's a hen and the next I'm sure I was wrong. Here's the pics.
20200922_065044.jpg
20200922_065036.jpg
20200922_065029.jpg

Yes. And they get along well, not the usual rivalry I expect between roosters. My husband is convinced she's a hen, but I think she would have layed eggs by now. But if a he, he doesn't try to mate with any of the hens. Silkies are weird, for sure.
IMO that is a cockerel that is not crowing or mating because there is a dominant roo.

If I had a roo I'd name him Socks. But that's just me lol
Thats cute. Mine are mostly named after punk rockers or singers so she looked like Grace Slick.. the last she that turned out to be a he was Jet for Joan Jet, so I think Slick works for us. Thanks everyone for your wisdom! I appreciate you all

Thank you. I have another question. Since the dominant rooster is 5 to 6 years older (still healthy and active but I know they don't live forever) Will the submissive one step up and start to mate when the older one is gone? Or will it be too used to being the way he is?

He'll step in as soon as he can. Might take a while for the hens to accept him, but he will take the alpha's place.

Back
Top Bottom