8 month old with curled/flaccid toes

Vitamin b deficiency. I was getting these until I realized that the medication in chick food was a thiamin blocker, and I was getting them no matter who or what incubated the chicks. (We gave some eggs to others to incubate for us, from many breeds and incubator types.)
Anyways, as well as medicating food, a thiamin blocker blocks vitamin B, and lack of vitamin B gives curled toes. Once I started feeding unmedicated, the new generations never had any, but you can't really reverse curled toes.

Curled Toes can be reversed, the first CTP I treated took 2wks, his toes straightened out & he was walking. Small as he was I had to keep him separated from his flock of hatchlings, would go after the bigger ones. When he went back with the rest to their owner, he got more spoiled :)
DSC03558.JPG
DSC03612.JPG
DSC03780.JPG

Ah that’s so awesome and he’s so cute!

My girl is 8 months old though, not sure if that’s the same or if I’ll be as lucky. :hmm

Curled Toes can be reversed, the first CTP I treated took 2wks, his toes straightened out & he was walking. Small as he was I had to keep him separated from his flock of hatchlings, would go after the bigger ones. When he went back with the rest to their owner, he got more spoiled :)View attachment 1604512 View attachment 1604513 View attachment 1604515

585158BD-B485-47C4-91B8-CF73B31071ED.jpeg
I’ll take a picture tomorrow - the girls are already in bed :)

I made a little splint sort of like this photo but i used a mid/heavy duty plastic, which i put a padding on and used medical tape. I did this this morning and she got around great with it on and none of the other girls messed with her.

Out of curiosity, I took it off around 4pm and she actually seems a bit better! One of her toes had noticeably straightened out and she actually gripped a bit with her toes, which she hasn’t done AT ALL since these symptoms happened.

I made another boot for her and she seems happy/normal.

Some of my chicken savvy friends say it sounds like a torn tendon.

I hope I can help her get better.

Picture of her boot tomorrow, but again, it looks loosely like the photo above - with the idea of getting the toes straight and not letting her buckle them backwards.

Pics, please, of splint when you get it on.

I made a little splint sort of like this photo but i used a mid/heavy duty plastic, which i put a padding on and used medical tape. I did this this morning and she got around great with it on and none of the other girls messed with her.
Fantastic!! Way to go!
I was curious whether an older bird could get around with that on it's foot.
Great to get toes straight and be able to move to keep everything working.

Thank you so much! Yeah, I was really happy when I saw a little bit of improvement and I was also worried about her ability to walk with it on.

I will be super excited if she looks even better tomorrow.

I watched her for a good hour or so when I first put the boot on her because I wanted to be sure that no one would pick on her. The Easter Eggers were curious (of course) but lost interest really quickly. No one else seemed to notice.

She walks great with it on, no problems at all. :)

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give an update!

Whopper is still exactly the same - her toes are still curled/bent backwards and flaccid.

After I posted this we ordered her a boot online and she has had it on since.

It allows her to walk around completely fine - no limp at all and no problems.

You can see her one normal toe sticking out through the hole.

She is one of the more dominate girls and no one messes with her or her boot.

She’s a happy girl, eats a ton and lays nice big eggs almost every day.

Thinking at this point the boot will most likely stay on indefinitely with periodic foot checks. ☺️

Still, just so strange. I wonder what happened to her but just grateful that she is happy and getting around just fine.

Attachments

• 5C7CA041-21DB-43CA-A60F-8C91470A2C0B.jpeg
    5C7CA041-21DB-43CA-A60F-8C91470A2C0B.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 10
Huh...nifty shoe!
Where'd ya get that(link)?
Is it all 3 front toes that are flaccid?
Are they still 'warm' and 'alive'?
Glad you've got it worked out....thanks for updating!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give an update!

Whopper is still exactly the same - her toes are still curled/bent backwards and flaccid.

After I posted this we ordered her a boot online and she has had it on since.

It allows her to walk around completely fine - no limp at all and no problems.

You can see her one normal toe sticking out through the hole.

She is one of the more dominate girls and no one messes with her or her boot.

She’s a happy girl, eats a ton and lays nice big eggs almost every day.

Thinking at this point the boot will most likely stay on indefinitely with periodic foot checks. ☺️

Still, just so strange. I wonder what happened to her but just grateful that she is happy and getting around just fine.
She's a pretty girl!
Glad you were able to find some bird booties for her, it looks like that's working out well for her.
Thank you for the update and photo! :)

Back
Top Bottom