8 month pullet found on floor under roost barely moving.

joyous

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Davenport, Iowa
This am I found my black copper maran laying on the floor of the coop under the roost. She is barely moving. When I picked her up, she does move her head, neck, wings and legs freely, but weakly. No obvious injuries. Her vent is dry with a little crusted white on it. Up to this point she has looked healthy and robust, eating, acting like a chicken, except that her comb has been slightly pale in comparison to the other two I have. I bought her with two others about 2 months ago. I also have 6- 4 month old pullets and 6 - 4 month old guineas. I have not seen any unusual poop, but I did Isolate her so I will examine it as it comes. All the other birds seem normal. I did try an organic worming a week ago with a pumpkin half filled with garlic, dandelion leaves and carrots. I have done this before and they all love it. They are in a 12 x 10 coop with a 11 foot high ceiling and roosts from floor to ceiling. They have an covered outdoor run 10 x 11. They free range a couple hours a day. Bedding is hay mixed with pine shavings. I am new at this...any ideas? by the way they are on chick grower because of the other pullets, they have oyster shells always available, and occasional scratch for treats..

Last edited:
Could she have gotten into poison or mold?
hu.gif

Sorry to hear your girl is sick. I had the same thing happen to me on Thursday. I posted a help message here but no one seem to know the answer. Unfortunately she pass that afternoon. I have been noticing that there has been a lot of this kind of thing going on lately.
Please keep us posted and good look with your girl. I hope she recovers quickly.

Thank you so much for your help. She was free ranged yesterday and there has been a lot of rain, so she might have gotten in to some mold, I don't use any poison so I don't think that she could have gotten any. I haven't felt any lumps or swollen areas on her. She is not holding up her head very well so maybe she is just lethargic, or maybe she could have fallen off the roost and broken her neck? She was laying right under the roosts.

It sounds like it might be botulism, I am giving her molasses mixed with water, and also droppers of water to keep her hydrated. She is currently in a dog kennel in my bathroom so I am keeping a close eye on her. Thanks for all the help, and least it gives me something to try. All the other pullets are fine.

I took all the hay out of my coop. It holds moisture and can cause mold. Have you checked the hay for mold?

Give her some Poly Vi-Sol (no iron). You can boil her an egg and see if she eats it. She may not have the strength. You can also hand feed her parrot food mixture.

Give her a dark warm place. Is she laying yet? Have you checked to see if she is egg bound?

Sorry, I am not much help. Hopefully, someone can help you.

Unfortunately my girl just died. I am so worried that Idid something wrong, or that I am missing something. My husband and I examined her thoroughly after she died and the only thing unusual was a small (about 1-2cm) clear sack like growth on the bottom of her neck just above her chest. No lumps, bugs or wounds. I just changed their bedding 2 weeks ago and it is hay mixed with pine shavings. Their coop is dry. The only other thing I can think of is that she ate something bad when she was free rangeing. She often went off by herself. Other than her comb being more pale than the other two marans, she acted normal. I am just afraid that she has something contangious and I am going to lose them one by one. All the others seem totally normal, and the other two marans are still laying faithfully. Thanks again, it helped so much just having someone to talk to.

Back
Top Bottom