8 or 9 month old chickens questions

Quote: Yep, and check the roosts too.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

I'll be doing that tonight then, I just finished the run yesterday around 5 let them out for a few hours then when I checked on then at night, they were back inside the coop all together, but I went ahead and close the coop and will open it here shortly.

I'll be doing that tonight then, I just finished the run yesterday around 5 let them out for a few hours then when I checked on then at night, they were back inside the coop all together, but I went ahead and close the coop and will open it here shortly.

Never mind run isn't tall enough, they decided to jump out, I thought 4 ft was good, so I'm gonna pull out some pieces of 7 ft tall fence and build another. But now I have to wait to see if they go back in their coop ahhhhh grrr

And to top it off my mama duck who had just yesterday decided i start sitting in her eggs, left her nest when my husband decided to put a shelter around her to keep her cool from the hot sun since he laid them by no hard. And hasn't sat again since then...

Update lol the run was a disaster but I was able to take out the three extra roosters.
I checked them at night no mites and I checked them a lil ago no lice, so all is good there,
I also checked the vent on the one most friendly my brown one, her vent is about a quarter in size but not moist or no ruffled feathers.
I'm not sure what that means.

bottom bird is a buff orpington, white one is a white cornish,and it looks like you have a few americaunas.

Back
Top Bottom