8 week old chick with odd leg

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
I posted this in illness and emergencies without a response. I'm hoping to get one here.
One of my chick's legs is twisted. The more she walks, the more twisted it gets. It was not always twisted, but she has always sat more than the other birds. She still walks, eats, and drinks. When she starts to fall, she catches herself with her wing. She is able to fly. I will have to log on with my phone to attach pictures. I will attach a facebook video here of her walking. This was a few days ago.
Oh, when I pick her up, both her feet face forward. This one only twists when she walks.

400C296E-B55D-4B37-B2F9-A909947CB761.jpeg

Attachments

• E4BC7489-59E1-4E56-A5D0-BECABE8165C2.jpeg
    E4BC7489-59E1-4E56-A5D0-BECABE8165C2.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 1
:welcome :frowPersonally I would cull it because the leg will only keep getting worse and eventually be a liability to it. I have had the same thing in the past.

If an animal eats drinks and gets about its obviously happy enough. My chickens are pets and in this case I'd keep. I'd only put down an animal in pain or if it couldn't eat or drink permanently. I was a veterinary nurse so always do all I can to keep mine alive! I've had impacted crops, egg bound with no shell(well scary and close to dying) but hot bath and massage worked. Cut bleeding feet, currently have a bandaged toe on a Silkie😊 no idea how she did that yesterday but it was dripping everywhere 😕.
I know a deformation is different, I have a Silkie with nodding head, since I hatched her, I was told she'd not live as long, but she is happy, as your chick seems and that's all that matters. Mines a 'pet' answer but I totally understand why others may not feel the same. Some people have a dog it means the world to them, I'd rather have my chickens anyday. Good luck with your lovely bunch of chicks😊

If an animal eats drinks and gets about its obviously happy enough. My chickens are pets and in this case I'd keep. I'd only put down an animal in pain or if it couldn't eat or drink permanently. I was a veterinary nurse so always do all I can to keep mine alive! I've had impacted crops, egg bound with no shell(well scary and close to dying) but hot bath and massage worked. Cut bleeding feet, currently have a bandaged toe on a Silkie😊 no idea how she did that yesterday but it was dripping everywhere 😕.
I know a deformation is different, I have a Silkie with nodding head, since I hatched her, I was told she'd not live as long, but she is happy, as your chick seems and that's all that matters. Mines a 'pet' answer but I totally understand why others may not feel the same. Some people have a dog it means the world to them, I'd rather have my chickens anyday. Good luck with your lovely bunch of chicks😊
We are raising chickens as pets. How do I know if she’s in pain?? She pants a lot and her chirp has changed. I’ve looked for a page on here that describes pain, but I haven’t found one.
thanks!

I posted this in illness and emergencies without a response. I'm hoping to get one here.
One of my chick's legs is twisted. The more she walks, the more twisted it gets. It was not always twisted, but she has always sat more than the other birds. She still walks, eats, and drinks. When she starts to fall, she catches herself with her wing. She is able to fly. I will have to log on with my phone to attach pictures. I will attach a facebook video here of her walking. This was a few days ago.
Oh, when I pick her up, both her feet face forward. This one only twists when she walks.
Poor thing! Honestly she looks like she may be in pain with the ginger way she moves her body each time she takes an awkward step. If she begins making squeaking noises when she steps, it may be time. This happened to a chicken my friend had and eventually she had to cull her because she could barely get around and you could tell she had nothing left after how much effort it took just to move and get food. She got to the point where she couldn’t get in and out of the coop. She’d make it half way and give up and sit down in this weird position with her leg kind of sticking out below her. I wish you the best of luck and I know it’s never easy to see them hurt or suffering.

We are raising chickens as pets. How do I know if she’s in pain?? She pants a lot and her chirp has changed. I’ve looked for a page on here that describes pain, but I haven’t found one.
thanks!
Panting can be stress or heat in my experience, I'm not an expert at all. Sounds change as well, as chicks age. I think as suggested you need to watch her, see her reactions, if she looks and sounds in pain, if she pants in cool weather... I had a lame hen a while back, she didn't look in pain and was very quiet, but she hardly moved, limped badly and stopped eating and drinking until I put her in a small hutch where she wasn't pushed around, I hand fed dandelions etc. It took many weeks to get her back to normal, I didn't think that was going to happen.... Usually if animals are in pain or very sick they stop eating and drinking. I read somewhere Chickens try not to show pain so they don't end up getting picked on, or standing out to predators, so probably hard to tell.

I have watched a few times, I may be wrong but I don't think it looks stressed or in pain, the funny noises are similar to my pekin and polish bantam, like funny sneezes, but not all do it. I don't think that's pain personally, I think he looks happy but you just need to keep an eye on things.

Back
Top Bottom