8 week old silkie

dharmasister

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I originally posted this in the silkie sexing thread but I didn't get a response so I'll try here. This is Edith Anne, she's 8 weeks old (not in the first photos, but the one that follows) and she is full of personality. She thinks she's a little bad a@# and is constantly bucking up to all the older chickens, even an australorp roo that is at least 6-8 weeks older than her. She and the roo will both stick their necks out, raise their feathers, and stare each other down. The roo frequently is the first to back down. These behaviors make me wonder about her gender. Any guesses on whether she's really a roo or is she the hen I hope for? These photos are from about two weeks ago. I will edit my post to add a few more photos from my phone.
This pic is the newest.

Last edited:
Can you get a close up of the comb? I've been meaning to check on the silkie sexing thread today but like to do it on the computer not my phone. But I have to be honest, non of my silkie hens have been too chest bumpy or confrontational. Sometimes yes, but mostly they just stay low and forage in pairs.

Last edited:
I personally have only ever seen two roosters fight like this, never a hen and a rooster, or a hen and a hen. I'm not exactly sure what to tell you other than my personal experience. It won't be much longer though until if she is actually a he, for crowing to begin....wait and listen!

Audra

Can you get a close up of the comb? I've been meaning to check on the silkie sexing thread today but like to do it on the computer not my phone. But I have to be honest, non of my silkie hens have been too chest bumpy or confrontational. Sometimes yes, but mostly they just stay low and forage in pairs.

I'll try to get close ups tomorrow of her comb. Thanks

Right now she shows no physical signs of being a roo so I'm going with pullet. But, given her attitude and age that could very well change in a few weeks. Update with new pictures in a few weeks :)

I'm leaning towards cockerel, since I see red wattles developing and the comb is a little wide/large. It is still too young to tell, though.

Sorry. I'm going with boy because of the waddles, comb & behavior. My silkie roo was bumping chests and bullying any chick that came near him since about 4 weeks old!

Back
Top Bottom