8 week old Welsummer or Brown Leghorn Cockeril or pullet

Cookiecoco1

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2019
We have found ourselves the proud owners of two chicks following a school project to follow the hatching process. One of our chicks looks exactly like a creamy legbar pullet but this 8 week old I'm not so sure. He/she is making noises similar to crowing but only to alert to the fact she/he wants to come out of coop in the morning. We dont hear a peep otherwise. Can you help
20190623_194531.jpg

Attachments

• 20190623_120823.jpg
    20190623_120823.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 14
That is definitely a cockerel. Were the eggs sourced from a hatchery, breeder, or a backyard flock?
Thank you for your prompt response. I'm going to say hatchery as I know that the teacher advised there were a number of different breeds including some oriental, which im assuming would not be the case for either a breeder or a backyard flock. Following the project most of the chicks were placed at a farm so I will try and contact the lady who set it up at the school to get more information.

We are both going to be sad, as he has a wonderfully friendly character but unfortunately feel its best to find a suitable rehome and source a new definite pullet to keep our existing pullet company and do it sooner rather than later

I do believe hes going to be a little stunner when he grows up. Hes got the most beautiful colouring already. Thanks everyone for answering so quickly

We are both going to be sad, as he has a wonderfully friendly character but unfortunately feel its best to find a suitable rehome and source a new definite pullet to keep our existing pullet company and do it sooner rather than later

Good plan. Please read about how to introduce a new bird to the "flock". There are many threads on that topic here. If done wrong, it can lead to serious problems up to death of the new bird.

Back
Top Bottom