8 x 12 Woods coop design - plan

Had a couple of sunny days this weekend. Walls up and plywood on the roof. Now some rain but should be nice so I can finish this weekend.

I didn't cut the door out yet. It's framed just to the left of the ladder. Still need to frame the side windows and put siding on the front shed. I forgot to take a pic before I started tarping for rain.

IMG_2435.JPG

I think there is the correct amount of total overhang, but it is put in the wrong place. Too much in front and not enough in the back?

I'm guessing the thought was to provide a lot of overhang over the monitor windows to shelter them from rain? It may depend on if they will have windows? In a warm climate you might be able to eliminate the windows to leave those openings screened only. But in most temperate climates, you would want to have windows that open and close (that helps control air movement....meaning drafts) and any windows will shed rain fine if installed as designed. The other thing with a lot of overhand is it keeps the sun out except for all but the longest days of winter (assuming open front faces south to the winter sun, which it should). Even with a smaller amount of front overhang (like 6 inches or so), the angle of the sun changes in summer so even 6 inches or so of front overhang the monitor windows will be in the shade with only indirect reflected light coming in.

On my 8' x 12' Woods, I left 6 inches of overhang front and back, and it seems to be about right for Missouri's latitude.

BTW, what are the side measurements? From the side, it should be divided into 3 parts......front scratch shed, 1/3rd, back part 2/3rd's. So 4' in the front and 8' in the back on a 12' house. (Actually, if you want to get technical and start picking fly crap out of the pepper, it's 4.5" front and 7.5" back, but that doesn't fit 4' sheet goods very well).

I think there is the correct amount of total overhang, but it is put in the wrong place. Too much in front and not enough in the back?
Roof overhang(~8-12") on all sides is a good thing....
....highly functional, and aesthetically pleasing IMO

If using 4' x 8' sheet goods for your roof decking, side overhangs on an 8' wide structure gets to be a problem. I was able to get full 8' sheets to cover it sideways, but had to narrow the building down by 3 inches to allow for a 3/4" trim board and 3/4" roof edge trim. On the back part, with a 5/12 roof slope and 6" of overhang front and back, rafters and roof deck ran a full 10', so 2 1/2 sheets of plywood for the roof deck.

If using 4' x 8' sheet goods for your roof decking, side overhangs on an 8' wide structure gets to be a problem. I was able to get full 8' sheets to cover it sideways, but had to narrow the building down by 3 inches to allow for a 3/4" trim board and 3/4" roof edge trim. On the back part, with a 5/12 roof slope and 6" of overhang front and back, rafters and roof deck ran a full 10', so 2 1/2 sheets of plywood for the roof deck.
Function trumps some extra material in my book.

It complicates the build (roof framing), but if it mattered, it could be done. And many of the box stores do carry 10' sheets of plywood or OSB for the roof decking. Or skip the plywood decking and use a metal roof.....which comes in 3' sections, so a 9' wide roof deck vs. one made with plywood and shingles. That would get you your 6" side overhangs. Better insulate under the metal roof however.

Yeah not the best photo, it's at a funny angle. I was just excited to make some more progress.

It's 8x8 in the back and 4x8 in the front. I did go slightly narrower and using full 8' on the roof plywood. Leaves just enough for trim. A few more inches would be nice, but this does keep it simple.

The overhang over the monitor is about one foot. There is some extra material up there under the tarp. I was trying to get things put away real quick and just wanted to cover the rafters so they didn't tear the tarp.
It does face south, slightly east. The climate hear is fairly mild but I will be putting windows up there. Although I probably won't put them in until fall.
Better pictures to come after this weekend.

You should be excited. You are doing a great job!

And don't let us interfere. Some of that is to leave tracks in the snow for other future builders to follow as they will certainly find and peruse this thread. Food for thought and all that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom