8 year old pekin duck cant walk very well. This isn't an emergency I just need advice.

She sounds like a very sweet girl, how long ago did she have bumble foot? If it was recent, could you attach a picture of the undersides, her feet so that we can rule that out?
A video of her walking may also help, but it does sound to me like her issues are stemming from a niacin deficiency, which could affect her mobility and of course appetite.
She has a healthy appetite, it sounds like niacin deficiency too I hoping that is all it is and that she doesn't have any other leg issues. I've thought that maybe some of her problem is arthritis but her legs don't seem swollen anywhere and I don't think they show any sign of arthritis but I also don't really know how to tell if ducks have it.
If you feel her tummy, does the breast bone feel prominant?
I don't think I can really feel her keel super well like I don't think it is super prominent.
I will get photos of her keel area when she's standing.

I'm not an expert, just figured I'd share my thoughts and send good wishes for your girlie.
Thank you!

If it's the same bottle I have you'll want a needle/syringe to draw it out. You could just pop the rubber top off but that could get a bit messy/wasteful, especially if something got in it and it went bad as you said. As far as storage goes I just leave mine with the rest of my duck's first aid kit. I know some keep theirs in the fridge to avoid spoilage, but my fridge goes below the recommended storing temp (59-77 F). More importantly is keeping it somewhere out of light and where the temperature won't fluctuate.
The seal is rubber on mine.
What do I do with the b complex bottle after I take a little bit out of it? Like is there anything I should do to the lid or whatever to make sure it doesn't go bad or anything I've tried watching a video on how to store it after opening and things like that but there isn't very much on it.
I want to make sure I store it right.
Is it okay if the tempt goes from 68-70° often? My room tempt (mostly during the winter) will go from being 68 to 70° I think that its fine for it to do that but I just want to make sure I'm storing it properly.

The seal is rubber on mine.
What do I do with the b complex bottle after I take a little bit out of it? Like is there anything I should do to the lid or whatever to make sure it doesn't go bad or anything I've tried watching a video on how to store it after opening and things like that but there isn't very much on it.
I want to make sure I store it right.
Is it okay if the tempt goes from 68-70° often? My room tempt (mostly during the winter) will go from being 68 to 70° I think that its fine for it to do that but I just want to make sure I'm storing it properly.
You should be good just storing it in your medical box. Those temperatures sound fine. If you have to draw the complex with the needle there'll probably be trace amounts that will drip/get drawn on the outside of the needle, which will dry and look a little crusty on the rubber top, but that won't be a big deal. You can just dab it with a tissue or paper towel after each use if you want to avoid that.

You should be good just storing it in your medical box. Those temperatures sound fine. If you have to draw the complex with the needle there'll probably be trace amounts that will drip/get drawn on the outside of the needle, which will dry and look a little crusty on the rubber top, but that won't be a big deal. You can just dab it with a tissue or paper towel after each use if you want to avoid that.
Okay, thank you.
I don't have a needle for it yet but I think ill be able to get one today at murdochs... (Maybe)
What kind or size is best for just drawing the b complex? I have 3ml louer lock syringes.
I can use the same syringe each time just rinse it out after pouring the b complex onto a treat and it should be good to use again, right? what about the needle, I am pretty sure I need to use a different needle everytime I draw from the b complex, right?
How exactly do you put the complex on the treat?
I am thinking of using banana as a treat for Angel, would "filling" the banana with the complex be a good idea?
Angel laid an egg yesterday, it had a healthy shell I would assume shed laid one again today I haven't gone out there yet.

i have been a little concerned with the way some of Angels poops look they aren't really weird or anything but there is just this little worry of mine that some of her poops look weird.
I am also extremely paranoid about the way their poops look and am always worrying something is wrong with them, mostly due to the loss of two hens (chickens) in the last few months they were both 8 or 9 years old so they were just slowing down and stuff I think the first one I lost, had a reproductive issue and ended with sour crop.
The other had a crop issue and then I don't really know what caused her to pass at least I don't know what exactly her entire issue was.
Point is both birds had weird poops due to their sicknesses I guess you could say and I think its really put me in worry mode as well as I don't really know what is and is not entirely normal for ducks especially since there isn't any good info and stuff about duck poop and how it's supposed to look.

Okay, thank you.
I don't have a needle for it yet but I think ill be able to get one today at murdochs... (Maybe)
What kind or size is best for just drawing the b complex? I have 3ml louer lock syringes.
Since you won't be injecting any animal I don't think the size of the needle matters too much. I guess a smaller needle might do a little less damage to the top over time? I doubt the difference would be considerable though.

You can probably check Murdoch's website to see if they have any in stock. My local store usually keeps a pretty accurate count of their inventory online.
https://www.murdochs.com/search/?query=disposable needle
I can use the same syringe each time just rinse it out after pouring the b complex onto a treat and it should be good to use again, right? what about the needle, I am pretty sure I need to use a different needle everytime I draw from the b complex, right?
I try to get multiple uses out of a needle. As long as you're keeping it clean and storing everything properly there shouldn't be anything that contaminates it. Just fill a cup with warm water after each use and draw it out with the needle/syringe to rinse them off.
How exactly do you put the complex on the treat?
I am thinking of using banana as a treat for Angel, would "filling" the banana with the complex be a good idea?
Just draw the complex out and squirt it over one of their favorite treats really. I would think a banana would be fine as long as it absorbs the complex well. I tried getting fancy and injecting it into a treat hoping it might disguise the bitter taste better, but all I really accomplished was getting the needle dirtier.

i have been a little concerned with the way some of Angels poops look they aren't really weird or anything but there is just this little worry of mine that some of her poops look weird.
My ducks poop in all different sorts of shapes, colors, and consistencies, so I'm right there with you in not knowing exactly what should be considered normal. Has there been anything in particular that has stood out to you?

Since you won't be injecting any animal I don't think the size of the needle matters too much. I guess a smaller needle might do a little less damage to the top over time? I doubt the difference would be considerable though.
Okay
You can probably check Murdoch's website to see if they have any in stock. My local store usually keeps a pretty accurate count of their inventory online.
https://www.murdochs.com/search/?query=disposable needle
My Murdoch's had some yesterday I don't know a But today, I went to murdochs yesterday but could not get any needles.
I try to get multiple uses out of a needle. As long as you're keeping it clean and storing everything properly there shouldn't be anything that contaminates it. Just fill a cup with warm water after each use and draw it out with the needle/syringe to rinse them off.
Thank you.
Just draw the complex out and squirt it over one of their favorite treats really. I would think a banana would be fine as long as it absorbs the complex well. I tried getting fancy and injecting it into a treat hoping it might disguise the bitter taste better, but all I really accomplished was getting the needle dirtier.
That's what I thought. I was thinking that injecting the complex into the banana or whatever treat would keep mess low at least it would not waste as much complex.
My ducks poop in all different sorts of shapes, colors, and consistencies, so I'm right there with you in not knowing exactly what should be considered normal. Has there been anything in particular that has stood out to you?
I think some of her poops look a little musouscy but those ones usually are a green color usually a pretty bright green but not neon green. She will have really big poops that are kind of a brownish gray color kind of similar to their food or whatever she ate before that poop. If I see a poop that is a bit concerning to me I will get a photo of it and post it here if needed.
I feel all my ducks to an extent seem to have weird poops maybe it's just them Idk.

That's what I thought. I was thinking that injecting the complex into the banana or whatever treat would keep mess low at least it would not waste as much complex.
Yeah it can get a bit messy. Unless you can get her to lick the bowl clean there's always going to be some that goes to waste giving it to them like this. I wouldn't fuss over it too much. If Angel is the only duck you're treating the bottle should last a good while.
I think some of her poops look a little musouscy but those ones usually are a green color usually a pretty bright green but not neon green. She will have really big poops that are kind of a brownish gray color kind of similar to their food or whatever she ate before that poop. If I see a poop that is a bit concerning to me I will get a photo of it and post it here if needed.
I feel all my ducks to an extent seem to have weird poops maybe it's just them Idk.
Mine sound a lot of the same. Best I can tell is the difference varies pretty drastically depending on how much time they've been spending in the water, and like you said whatever they've been eating most recently.

Yeah it can get a bit messy. Unless you can get her to lick the bowl clean there's always going to be some that goes to waste giving it to them like this. I wouldn't fuss over it too much. If Angel is the only duck you're treating the bottle should last a good while.

Mine sound a lot of the same. Best I can tell is the difference varies pretty drastically depending on how much time they've been spending in the water, and like you said whatever they've been eating most recently.
Angel is the only one I'll be treating, unless one duck all of sudden decides they have a niacin deficiency too but I doubt that will ever happen.
Angel walked really well when I fed them she even slightly ran without stumbling!
It makes me soo happy that she is getting better and better everyday!
:wee

Oh, and she did lay an egg today I am pretty sure all the rain and snow made her not want to lay eggs when the weather was that way. I didn't really see any odd poops when I cleaned all the poops in the playpen from Chiharu and Angel today (like I do everyday) Angels poops were all normal looking and there were like two that were bigger then the rest.
Her poop appeared to be normal colors and her big poops are usually pretty solid like they arent a splat kind of poop, Angelina my younger pekin has similar poops to Angel so I'm not really worried especially the more I think about it Angel will have odd poops here and there but its not consistent I think if her poops were always weird then I'd be worried and stuff.
About the only thing about her occasional weird poop that really bothers me is that they are usually mucus consistency Angelina will have similar consistency poops to.

Angel is the only one I'll be treating, unless one duck all of sudden decides they have a niacin deficiency too but I doubt that will ever happen.
Angel walked really well when I fed them she even slightly ran without stumbling!
It makes me soo happy that she is getting better and better everyday!
:wee
She's in good hands! I look forward to hearing her progress!

Would putting the B complex on a little piece of bread be okay until we get more bananas which might be a day or two from now.
I want to give Angel some b complex today, as my dad got the needles from murdochs yesterday, they are 18G×1" aluminum hub needles.

Back
Top Bottom