8m SP. SUSSEX. SEEMS LETHARGIC AFTER 2 days deworming? IS THIS FROSTBITE? Is this fr deworming or something else?

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
I’m pretty sure that the black dots are frostbite. The white in her comb I am not sure if that’s frostbite or the signs of something worse. She is a 8 no old Speckled Sussex. And has been kinda lethargic for the last 2 days. She is eating a little bit. (Some mealworms and a little water) I have started deworming the flock 2 days ago with safeguard ( because I lost one to gapeworm) and honestly she was fine before then. Full red comb and plenty of
energy. I’m going to give her some sugar water. And see if that peps her up a littl. Does any have any advice or experience with this kind of reaction to safeguard…or is it something else. Am I missing anything? I’m pretty new to chickens and we have just gone through 4 days of below zero weather. It finally broke today and the temp is 14.
thank you in advance for any information or advice.

Attachments

• FBBC9DA3-C315-4B40-A072-84B6F447ABEA.jpeg
    FBBC9DA3-C315-4B40-A072-84B6F447ABEA.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 18
  • D964EC4E-556D-46A9-B42E-6E558E660D0E.jpeg
    D964EC4E-556D-46A9-B42E-6E558E660D0E.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 5
Looks more like pecks but the very tips could have slight frostbite, don't touch it if it is. How did you verify the gape worm? A necropsy? There's a few common issues that can look like gape worm so it's rarely gape worm. What do you feed your birds?

I feed them layer crumble. And they’be been getting scrambled eggs and some corn before they go in the coop for the night.
I didn’t get a necropsy so I’m not 100% positive on the gapeworm-that hen was gasping and gaping for breath I checked to see if she choking on something but I am a beginner and not sure I checked as thouroughly as I should have. I didn’t see anything tho and then I thought it could be a respiratory illness. I gave her a broad spectrum antibiotic (LA-200 injection 1st and 3rd day.) And that didn’t hep. She developed water belly (ascitis I think it’s called ) and went downhill quickly.
I still have her. It being Holiday season I haven’t been able to get her a necropsy.
Do you know if dewormer can cause any side effect? I’ve searched but haven’t found anything yet that is relevant to my Speckled Sussex. Should I stop the dewormer? It’s been 3 of the 5 day treatment. Or is this maybe coincidental because of the weather? I’m sorry I have a ton of questions. I don’t want to do anything detrimental to my gals.

Yes, she has some frostbite and a few peck wounds on her comb and wattles, but I would not give any treatment for that. Just let it heal, and do not handle or massage the frostbitten tissue.

SafeGuard is very safe to use. Are you using a dosage of 0.25 ml per pound of weight, and giving it orally? Gapeworm is rare, but can be confirmed by having a vet look at droppings under a microscope. Respiratory diseases are more common. The hen that died may have had labored breathing or gasping from ascites.

My guess is that she may be in some pain, but she may be dehydrated or just cold. I would offer fluids to her and some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg. What do her poops look like?

I will get a picture of her poops as soon as I ca. Yesterday the one time I saw her poop it was watery. They all seemed to have more watery poops since I’ve started the dewormer. I’m giving each girl .2ml per pound ( each one is a little different).
Btw Thank you so muc! I appreciate the feedback more than I can say! It’s comforting being able to talk to someone about my girls. I’m new to this and trying to learn as much as I can! I’ll post the pictures shortly.

Yes, she has some frostbite and a few peck wounds on her comb and wattles, but I would not give any treatment for that. Just let it heal, and do not handle or massage the frostbitten tissue.

SafeGuard is very safe to use. Are you using a dosage of 0.25 ml per pound of weight, and giving it orally? Gapeworm is rare, but can be confirmed by having a vet look at droppings under a microscope. Respiratory diseases are more common. The hen that died may have had labored breathing or gasping from ascites.

My guess is that she may be in some pain, but she may be dehydrated or just cold. I would offer fluids to her and some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg. What do her poops look like?
They’re all frozen now Other than some being a little green….. I will watch for fresh tomorrow. Its supposed to warm up to above freezing and I am hoping that will be good for everyon.

Attachments

• 9EF07A80-A30E-4537-BC1E-D14A21680BBA.jpeg
    9EF07A80-A30E-4537-BC1E-D14A21680BBA.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 66A56005-ABD8-44D9-8C66-8EAABBDF511B.jpeg
    66A56005-ABD8-44D9-8C66-8EAABBDF511B.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 4
  • C2BA6568-620C-4A64-B310-B766CEA4EB61.jpeg
    C2BA6568-620C-4A64-B310-B766CEA4EB61.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 6
I gave them some probiotics in their water today and changed the dosage to .25ml/lb. I’m glad we only have 1 more day for the deworming Lol. I have noticed 3 of my birds have not layed any eggs since I started the safeguard. They were laying 4-5 days per week before I started. Is this coincidence or is this something that is normal? I’ve looked and haven’t found any information on laying during the duration of the deworming. It has been very cold and is starting to warm up now. Might it be a few different factors? I’m kinda just writing out my thoughts as I’m thinking them….any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom