8x30 American Coop (Carolina Coops) build - pix heavy

Maybe when she gets to be 5 or 6 weeks older the truth will be revealed.

Any tips for getting the girls out of the roost and into the run? We've tried holding meal worms just out of the opening and teasing with a bite or two, tried placing the snack on the roost steps, throwing just outside the steps so they can hear it, rustling the bag and dear wife even caught a lavender americana and took it into the run feeder and run water. It flew back into the roost.

This morning we took the feeder out of the roost hoping a little hunger will trigger exploration.

The best luck I have had so far is getting a lavender on the 2nd step but that was that.

What else?
Chickens hate change - it will take time for them to enjoy their beautiful pen.

At some point they will be able to fly enough to avoid most of the steps, at any rate the girls will have to deal with the ladder.
That door does not look very big, so they will need to sit somewhere and fold their wings before they can walk through it (especially once they are bigger.) An adult chicken with their wings spread to fly is often 3 feet wide.

I would suggest a bigger space right at the top of the ladder, to be a landing pad (or shelf or perch or platform or whatever you want to call it.) That would also let them walk out and look before flying down, which might make them feel more comfortable about going in and out.

@John Canfield Any eggs yet? Did you keep your rooster? Your girls have to be getting close. If not already delivering the goods.

Are you pretty happy with the design? Any changes/tweaks you would make if you could do it again?
Hi guys! I've been remiss in not posting here occasionally.

The numbers: 22 chicks, 4 cockerels and 18 pullets. We're getting about 4 eggs a day now! They are mostly laying in the egg hutches but occasionally on the hemp bedding or even in the run.
Not sure what we're going to do with the boys, The red jungle fowl (cockerel) tried to attack me one time but he got my boot in his face. He is drop dead gorgeous though. The Cochin turned out to be a boy - a big boy. One of the lavender americanas is a boy. Forgot what the other boy is.

Four are roosting in the run on a cable spool and some limbs I put there and all of the others roost in the house.

The coop design is absolutely perfect! There is nothing I can think of that could be an improvement. If you want to roll your own - make an exact copy. Seriously.

Coop-Run-G4-Dome---9-11-2022,-8.45.47am.jpg

Back
Top Bottom