8x30 American Coop (Carolina Coops) build - pix heavy

Not the best for chickens.
Too steep for one thing.
A flat board set at less than 40° off horizontal with cleats at 4-6" spacing works well.
At some point they will be able to fly enough to avoid most of the steps, at any rate the girls will have to deal with the ladder. The lavender I grabbed and placed in the run yesterday figured out how to return to the roost.

I do appreciate your advice though.

At some point they will be able to fly enough to avoid most of the steps, at any rate the girls will have to deal with the ladder.
That door does not look very big, so they will need to sit somewhere and fold their wings before they can walk through it (especially once they are bigger.) An adult chicken with their wings spread to fly is often 3 feet wide.

I would suggest a bigger space right at the top of the ladder, to be a landing pad (or shelf or perch or platform or whatever you want to call it.) That would also let them walk out and look before flying down, which might make them feel more comfortable about going in and out.

Here's a side view of the ladder, I measured the angle at about 50 degrees. Next pix is my network switch on a platform, unfortunately the switch (Ubiquity) isn't rated for an outdoor environment so no telling how long it will last in a humid environment.

We did have a bit of progress yesterday, one lavender americana made it to the 2nd ladder step, maybe today it will be the 3rd step :yesss: .

LadderSideView.jpg

The ladder from the roost. In the background is a 50 gallon water tank and the drinker bar.

NetworkInstall.jpg

Platform for my network switch. The gray box is to pick off power for an overhead light.

Back
Top Bottom