8x30 American Coop (Carolina Coops) build - pix heavy

Mine were hatched April 19th and started laying last week.
Man.. I wanted a Carolina Coop so bad. The wait is real though. It looks awesome! Need to plan the year before if you want one... that and the price hurdle. So jealous @John Canfield
We’ve opted to construct our own. A large factor was needing a coop finished by October. Final supply purchases should be made this weekend. Then the construction begins. I’ll start my own thread on the build to avoid hijacking John’s here.

@John Canfield Any eggs yet? Did you keep your rooster? Your girls have to be getting close. If not already delivering the goods.

Are you pretty happy with the design? Any changes/tweaks you would make if you could do it again?
Hi guys! I've been remiss in not posting here occasionally.

The numbers: 22 chicks, 4 cockerels and 18 pullets. We're getting about 4 eggs a day now! They are mostly laying in the egg hutches but occasionally on the hemp bedding or even in the run.
Not sure what we're going to do with the boys, The red jungle fowl (cockerel) tried to attack me one time but he got my boot in his face. He is drop dead gorgeous though. The Cochin turned out to be a boy - a big boy. One of the lavender americanas is a boy. Forgot what the other boy is.

Four are roosting in the run on a cable spool and some limbs I put there and all of the others roost in the house.

The coop design is absolutely perfect! There is nothing I can think of that could be an improvement. If you want to roll your own - make an exact copy. Seriously.

Coop-Run-G4-Dome---9-11-2022,-8.45.47am.jpg

Not sure what we're going to do with the boys, The red jungle fowl (cockerel) tried to attack me one time but he got my boot in his face. He is drop dead gorgeous though. The Cochin turned out to be a boy - a big boy. One of the lavender americanas is a boy. Forgot what the other boy is.

If you ever have children anywhere near your chickens I strongly advise getting rid of any males who have attacked anyone.

They go for kids first and they leap to strike for the eyes. Kids have been blinded and/or permanently maimed. :(

If you ever have children anywhere near your chickens I strongly advise getting rid of any males who have attacked anyone.

They go for kids first and they leap to strike for the eyes. Kids have been blinded and/or permanently maimed. :(
Interesting you mention that. Our 'pet' axis deer (dehorned and castrated) hates little kids. He will raise up on his hind legs but that's as far as it goes. I put myself between the kid and the deer to protect the kid. So no more kids around that deer. Otherwise he's like a 150 pound puppy dog. We let our corgi in the pen with him (corgi passed away a few years ago) and that axis deer was okay with the dog. Go figure.

Hi guys! I've been remiss in not posting here occasionally.

The numbers: 22 chicks, 4 cockerels and 18 pullets. We're getting about 4 eggs a day now! They are mostly laying in the egg hutches but occasionally on the hemp bedding or even in the run.

Four are roosting in the run on a cable spool and some limbs I put there and all of the others roost in the house.

The coop design is absolutely perfect! There is nothing I can think of that could be an improvement. If you want to roll your own - make an exact copy. Seriously.

View attachment 3262837
That’s exactly what I hoped to hear! That’s wonderful you are so pleased with the build and getting some eggs.

If all goes as planned ours will be a close approximation of a Carolina Coop. Both in design and fit and finish. Yesterday we picked up the HDPE and polycarb sheets. The orders are in for the PVC coated hardware cloth and hemp bedding. The bedding is direct from Carolina coops. I’m hoping it’s as good as everyone says. It’ll be the biggest we can go without a permit, 8’x24’.

8x24 will be a very nice size. Don't know if you are planning on water and power but if not, I highly recommend you do that. I started with two bales of hemp which worked fine but after about three months we added another bale and I have one in reserve.

My morning routine is to look for any eggs dropped on the hemp and then use a rock rake to turn over the hemp (cover up the poo and feathers) and check the egg hutch. Usually there's one egg in the hutch and then two or three more in the afternoon.

John, I have an 8x30 sitting in my driveway...have a couple questions
8x24 will be a very nice size. Don't know if you are planning on water and power but if not, I highly recommend you do that. I started with two bales of hemp which worked fine but after about three months we added another bale and I have one in reserve.

My morning routine is to look for any eggs dropped on the hemp and then use a rock rake to turn over the hemp (cover up the poo and feathers) and check the egg hutch. Usually there's one egg in the hutch and then two or three more in the afternoon.
John, I have an 8x30 sitting in my driveway. I have a few questions I guess my first would be paint process/order...after a quick look through the instructions it looks like painting in full prior to assembly would provide the most complete coverage?..or would you do things the same and construct your shell/exterior first then spray...how about the roost/hutches?

Back
Top Bottom