8x30 American Coop (Carolina Coops) build - pix heavy

Pics
Thank you!
The coop is a kit from Carolina Coops. We ordered it I think November 1st and delivery was early May. Myself and 2 highly skilled buddies took about 3 weeks to assemble. Several days of that was me painting primer and then spraying the finish color coat.
Thanks for the info… now to convince my parents that it is worth getting a precut coop.

Got a spare $10k
No, I spent all my money already on my lamb. :confused: I don’t know how it all disappeared so fast. We go through a bag of feed every 3 weeks 🫣

Attachments

• A95A2190-B412-4CF9-AF27-EF162BA1C81F.jpeg
    A95A2190-B412-4CF9-AF27-EF162BA1C81F.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 7
Not sure that bird is a silkie. You can google for some images. I have not raised any silkies but I believe they usually have a walnut comb and black skin. Pretty anyway.
I've had boys attempt to crow at a few weeks old and some that were a couple months old before the crowed. They are all different. The first crows are somewhat hilarious! They have to practice. lol
You guys must be correct about it not being a silkie, I looked at some pix and it looks very much like a Brahama, it's legs are fully feathered. Looks like it's wearing bell bottom pants.

Well..... the pullet with the bright red comb (which I think is a Wellsummer?) was practicing crowing :highfive: for the first time this morning - it was really funny.

We didn't want any boys for a variety of reasons but this guy is too beautiful to part with, at least at this point.
You have TONS more patience than me, I would have tossed them all out the door long ago! :lau
I'm about at that point! If they aren't out the door in a couple of weeks I think we'll shoo them out.

You guys must be correct about it not being a silkie, I looked at some pix and it looks very much like a Brahama, it's legs are fully feathered. Looks like it's wearing bell bottom pants.
If it has normal feathers (not Silkie-type feathers)
And it is all black
And it has a single comb

Then it is almost certainly a Black Cochin.
Brahmas usually come in Light, Buff, and Dark. Any other color is quite rare in the US.
Also, Brahmas have pea combs, not single combs.

Well..... the pullet with the bright red comb (which I think is a Wellsummer?) was practicing crowing :highfive: for the first time this morning - it was really funny.
Crowing is a very good sign of being a cockerel!
Welsummers are that color, but so are some breeds.
But I think I see dark legs (blue/slate). Welsummers are supposed to have yellow legs.
So I'm guessing it is something else.

Did you buy specific breeds of chicks, or an assortment? Identifying chicks in an assortment can sometimes be quite difficult, because of how many breeds resemble each other, especially when they are young.

Got the Chicken Guard auto door installed, the premium model. Bought this with the coop from Carolina Coops. They provide a pre-made insert to fit inside a wall opening for the auto door.

Added a small platform to the top chicken step (looks like a diving board) per some advice here on BYC. Forgot to take a pix of that.

Few more pix...

View attachment 3137268
Chicken Guard door installed with some help from the pup. He's keeping the squirrels away🐶.

View attachment 3137277
Who you lookin' at?

View attachment 3137282
Dear wife thinks this is a Golden Lace Wyandotte instead of a Wellsummer - I think she might be correct. Whatever breed it is, it's beautiful.

View attachment 3137286
A much better view of the mystery 'Creamy'

View attachment 3137298
Blue Sumatra?

--end-- ..not the end! Look what I found on Cackle:

View attachment 3137321
Cackle's Blue Sumatra. Full credit to Cackle for the image.
Your mystery chick makes me thin he/she is part phenix because of that long tail and the slim body.

If it has normal feathers (not Silkie-type feathers)
And it is all black
And it has a single comb

Then it is almost certainly a Black Cochin.
Brahmas usually come in Light, Buff, and Dark. Any other color is quite rare in the US.
Also, Brahmas have pea combs, not single combs.

Crowing is a very good sign of being a cockerel!
Welsummers are that color, but so are some breeds.
But I think I see dark legs (blue/slate). Welsummers are supposed to have yellow legs.
So I'm guessing it is something else.

Did you buy specific breeds of chicks, or an assortment? Identifying chicks in an assortment can sometimes be quite difficult, because of how many breeds resemble each other, especially when they are young.
Black Cochin - interesting, I'll look at some pix. EDIT: yes, it's almost certainly a Black Cochin! One more positive ID.

We bought 6 Blue Americanas, 6 Lavender Americanas and a 5 chick assortment of "rare" at Cackle. It's been a bunch of fun trying to figure out what the five chicks are. Oh, BTW, they are 10 weeks old today.

I really appreciate all of the help and comments I've received here - y'all are a good bunch of folks :bow

Last edited:
Your mystery chick makes me thin he/she is part phenix because of that long tail and the slim body.
I was thinking Pheonix, too, but Creamy has yellow legs. Cackle has White Yokohamas with yellow legs and a similar body type. Think this Cackle photo of a Yokohama matches?
img805.jpg

Been following along on your coop build. Looks great. It is interesting to see a Carolina Coop being built, to get a better idea of the design. Usually we just see the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom