8x8 coop good for chickens?

Whitetail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
I was wondering if an 8x8 foot coop be good enough for 13 chickens? orphingtons/australorps/dominiques. I will be building them a small run as well as letting them free range from time to time so they will only really be in the coop at night or when its severe weather outside.

By the time you install adequate roosting space, nest boxes, feeding station and watering station, that 8x8 will sometimes seem small for 13 full bodied birds. The other issue, for some of us, is the winter, when heavy storms and blizzards keep the birds "cooped up" for days and days on end. Boredom sets in easily.

In milder climates, where all the birds really need is a place to sleep, size isn't as much of an issue.

By the time you install adequate roosting space, nest boxes, feeding station and watering station, that 8x8 will sometimes seem small for 13 full bodied birds. The other issue, for some of us, is the winter, when heavy storms and blizzards keep the birds "cooped up" for days and days on end. Boredom sets in easily.

In milder climates, where all the birds really need is a place to sleep, size isn't as much of an issue.
I have planned to make the nesting boxes on the outside of the coop, so i can lift a flap and harvest eggs. It wont cut into the interior size of the coop. So hopefully i dont run out of too much space, with two hanging feeders/waterers.

You should make it bigger. Next spring when chicken fever hits you, you will wish you had more space.
hmm.png
Plus that is really not enough room for when inclement weather hits and the birds choose not go out.

What is a good size i should build my coop to be then? I didnt expect it to have to be much larger than 8ft by 8ft. But if im gonna build it i want to do it once.

I am building a 4x8 for 8 chickens so i think 8x8 is a fine size, do chickens really get bored and if so what will more rom do for them??. build away you will be fine. 4 sq ft per bird is suggested, 8x8= 64 sq ft 13 chicks need 52 sq ft.

Also i may end up with less than 13, i have a straight run of chicks from TSC and i think 3 or 4 of the 7 i bought were roos.

8x8 is really a good size for that number of chickens. When chickens get bored from lack of space they will pick on each other, picking feathers out, etc. I just speaking from experience here when I say chicken fever may hit you next spring when you realize how much you enjoy your chickens and would like to add more. If you have the space, no problem. If your like us...you will wish you built bigger from the get go. Just sayin...
roll.png

First of all
welcome-byc.gif

I have a raised 8X8 coop for 16 birds(3RIR,4BR,3BO and 6RSL) and a White Rock roo. Like Fred said you would think a coop of that size is big but gets small after a roost,feeders,waterer and things.My nest boxes are internal bit the top of them serves as shelving for all the stuff. Works good for sleeping but can get tight on miserable days. But for the most part my girls go out even when it is nasty out and will hang out underneath the coop. In winter I block off the normal windward side so they are out of wind. Only my rooster stays in on crappy days,being almost 10 pounds you would think he is fearless but he is a chicken. You can get by with an 8X8 but if you can swing a bigger one do it. Chicken math sets in and before you know it that 13 turns into 20 or more. I wanted to start with 10 but that went south....

Last edited:
All my birds go out in winter. I live in northern NH so yes, we get real winter, we don't heat the coop. The key is don't heat the coop and as others mentioned; wrap the windward side of run for shelter.

My opinion is 8x8 is a great sized coop. Big enough for more birds than you plan on and easy building dimension to save costs. I like external boxes too, have lost a few eggs, not many, if we don't collect in time on those below zero days come January.

Back
Top Bottom