9 month old Buff Orpingron not laying eggs

This girl is also at the bottom of the pecking order. She is also a bit skittish. Both of our other Orpingtons are still laying daily even in our Kansas winter conditions. We have 8 hens in the brooder that are 9 weeks old and will be moving to the coop in the next week or so and I'm afraid that will discourage her from laying even more with the new additions.

My Hamburgs, at the bottom of the pecking order and also a skittish, seemed to take forever to start laying. I finally found a nest in the woods and realized that they had been laying but bullied by the other hens and not allowed in the nest boxes. I setup several potential nesting areas using straw bales in covered/safe areas where they hung out during the day, and put fake eggs in them. I also installed a few extra nest boxes in the coop, so that there were many more nesting areas available than should have been required for the size of my laying flock. The Hamburgs started laying in the makeshift nesting areas and, eventually, worked their way into the coop nest boxes.

I checked her and I don't believe she is mature yet. She must be a late bloomer!
Happy New Year! Shellyict, sorry I haven't responded in awhile, but I wanted to check in with you since we have similar concerns about our BO's not laying. My BO finally laid her first egg at 35 weeks. No problems, and she is now laying large eggs regularly. I've also noticed that, since she began laying, she seems to have risen in the pecking order a bit and looks to be a bit more assertive. I'm a new chickenkeeper so I'm not sure if being an official "layer" gives you more street credibility in the flock!

They free range during the day. They are eating Purina Layena along with oyster shell and table scraps and meal worms for treats.

This girl is also at the bottom of the pecking order. She is also a bit skittish. Both of our other Orpingtons are still laying daily even in our Kansas winter conditions. We have 8 hens in the brooder that are 9 weeks old and will be moving to the coop in the next week or so and I'm afraid that will discourage her from laying even more with the new additions.

Back
Top Bottom