9 Week Old Chicks Fighting

AustralorpsAU

Songster
May 20, 2016
Down Under
So i have just integrated my 9 week old chicks with my hens and the hens are pecking here and there but nothing major but now my chicks (i am positive i have two pullets and one roo) are flaring neck feathers and fighting every now and then. is this normal juvenile behaviour? even for hens?

Thanks

I have four twelve-week old EEs and they're all pullets. When they come out of the coop in the morning or when they are let out of the run to free range, they get exuberant and rush at one another as if play fighting.

They remind me of kids let out for recess who run and chase each other and pretend to fight. Both are just displaying youthful joy over being young and alive.

Once you let them out to forage and eat grass.......They do it....
Chickens can be mean to each other and it is just natural for them to create a pecking order...Sometimes it gets very mean as one hen is hen pecked....No real reason for it? It happens though.

I have four twelve-week old EEs and they're all pullets. When they come out of the coop in the morning or when they are let out of the run to free range, they get exuberant and rush at one another as if play fighting.

They remind me of kids let out for recess who run and chase each other and pretend to fight. Both are just displaying youthful joy over being young and alive.
Same here, mine are a bit older tho...I call them the 'Pullet Punks'.
They race around down low-wings out, or fly/run all over in small groups...stop and flare at each other.
Like a bunch of teenagers goofing around.

You know its funny. Yesterday morning there was nothing wrong with my hens combs and then when i put the young ones in, one of the hens comb turned light purple but now today its red again so i think it must have been from stress

At what age can this start I have four week old chicks and I keep them inside at night and put them in thier coop during the day when it warms up. When in the coop they play fight rushing at each other is there a concern here. When inside at night they sleep together quietly.

Back
Top Bottom