9 week old - pullets or roosters? EE and a mystery breed - photo link fixed!

soler

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
I am worried about these two because of the tails. This is my first chicken experience so i am not sure if a tail like this means pullets or cockerels!

i just could.t upload directly, so i made an online album for the photos.
PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK:
http://flickr.com/gp/sole_r/461i91/

the first one is an EE, she is one of the smallest birds of the lot. Behavior is submissive, middle/bottom of pecking order. I read all the threads on sexing, and the comb is small and light, and i don't see obvious red/color on chest and shoulders, but i just can't tell. Second shot is a close up of the head.

the third and fourth shots are a mystery breed (was supposed to be an australorp, i know it's nowhere close)

Fifth shot is an EE and also 9 weeks and i know it's a pullet - the tail is SO different! and she is much bigger than the other EE.

last one is a buff japanese bantam that i suspect may be male? also 9 weeks.

many thanks!

Last edited:
have you dusted them for mites and lice. i had a few that looked like that feather wise and they had a bad case of feather mites/lice (even lost a few before i noticed the mite/lice)....

as for genders

1. pullet
2. leaning towards cockerel but looks pullety right now (looks like an ee)
3. pullet
4. pullet

Last edited:
i have used DE on them, but have found no trace of parasites. she/he has feathered in a bit more now (it's been two more weeks), so it looks better. i have also put DE in their coop and dusting hole. Will take another batch of them next week. They both look pretty similar still to these photos,the bantam crest has grown in a bit though and gone pinker, uh-oh!

Back
Top Bottom