First Flock of 9 EE Hens- But One of These Things Is Not Like The Others!

MidLifeChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
N.E. Ohio
New to keeping chickens and I couldn't love them more but I picked up these 9 chicks from Meyer Hatchery 9 weeks ago and I noticed one of them really started to look different a few weeks ago. She was the smallest for awhile but suddenly had a big growth spurt and got really big. Her comb was always the biggest and most noticeable of the bunch and has really started to stand out. She developed rust colored spots on her wings and now she has really beautiful colors and yesterday I noticed spots of iridescent green feathers on her body and her tail feathers. The other 2 EE chicks have pretty standard brownish red feathers and smaller pale combs. It's confusing to me because she does not act like a rooster and doesn't make much noise at all and one of my Olive Egger Hens actually is the one that shows dominance in the group and is usually the first one to make an alarm noise and alert the group so I'm confused! Just need to know if I need to learn more about having roosters because I wasn't planning on it! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230730_193757.jpg
    20230730_193757.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230730_193845.jpg
    20230730_193845.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230730_193902.jpg
    20230730_193902.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230730_193347.jpg
    20230730_193347.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 23
New to keeping chickens and I couldn't love them more but I picked up these 9 chicks from Meyer Hatchery 9 weeks ago and I noticed one of them really started to look different a few weeks ago. She was the smallest for awhile but suddenly had a big growth spurt and got really big. Her comb was always the biggest and most noticeable of the bunch and has really started to stand out. She developed rust colored spots on her wings and now she has really beautiful colors and yesterday I noticed spots of iridescent green feathers on her body and her tail feathers. The other 2 EE chicks have pretty standard brownish red feathers and smaller pale combs. It's confusing to me because she does not act like a rooster and doesn't make much noise at all and one of my Olive Egger Hens actually is the one that shows dominance in the group and is usually the first one to make an alarm noise and alert the group so I'm confused! Just need to know if I need to learn more about having roosters because I wasn't planning on it! Thanks!
I think that is a cockerel. Such a bummer, would have been a very beautiful hen. But you just can't change their genders. If you live in a city or town that doesn't allow cockerels, rehoming would be the best idea. I'm stating my opinion which doesn't mean it's right, I'm pretty inexperienced at sexing but I'm putting my best guess. I can tell my cocks apart from pullets most of the time but I may have two pullets in with the cockerels because I thought they were cocks! But combs don't lie.

Best of luck with your cock/hen!

Back
Top Bottom