9 week olds not roosting at night, possible scald

Esshea

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Brightwood, Oregon
I have a mix of 9 and 8.5 week old pullets and a few cockerels. They’ve been out in their coop since about 5.5 and 6 weeks old. When in the brooder they loved to sleep while roosting.
I assumed they slept on the roost in their coop this whole time. Nope they huddle together in a corner. Now that they are getting older, drinking more water and having bigger wetter poops I am finding the area they huddle and sleep together in very moist. Pine shavings aren’t cutting it. I change the shavings out weekly but I am realizing I need to do it more often in that area. A few of the birds have mild pinkness on their legs so I am worried about scald.
How do I encourage them to sleep on the roost? My husband placed the roost directly under the ventilation so I am thinking maybe it’s too cold for them there? It’s about 2 or 3 feet high. I found poo up there so I know at least one of them can make it up there 🤣They seem huge for their age and definitely aren’t interested in the tiny roost we brought from the brooder when moving them to the coop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

They may need to be trained to roost if there's no adults to show them how. Pick them up at night and manually place them on the roosts. You may need to do this for several days until they get it.

As far as the ventilation concern, easy way to check for drafts is pick a windy day, then place something lightweight like a ribbon right around the area the chickens would be sitting on the roost. If there's slight movement, that's fine. If the ribbon is fluttering, then that's a concern. Buffering the vent(s) responsible with louvered covers, an awning type cover that's just partially opened, or an exterior buffering cover would be a good idea in that case.

Mine at almost 16 weeks are not roosting automatically yet. Prior to last week, they huddled. Now, each night, I am going out after they go into the coop by themselves and putting them on the roost. The first couple of nights, it was a battle of the wills...I put them up, they hop right down. 😣. After a few nights and me waiting till it was slightly darker, I'm winning. I put them on the roost and they are still there in the morning. Next accomplishment will be that they get up there by themselves.

They may need to be trained to roost if there's no adults to show them how. Pick them up at night and manually place them on the roosts. You may need to do this for several days until they get it.

As far as the ventilation concern, easy way to check for drafts is pick a windy day, then place something lightweight like a ribbon right around the area the chickens would be sitting on the roost. If there's slight movement, that's fine. If the ribbon is fluttering, then that's a concern. Buffering the vent(s) responsible with louvered covers, an awning type cover that's just partially opened, or an exterior buffering cover would be a good idea in that case.
Great tips thank you! I definitely will test the air flow and love the idea of louvered covers.

Mine at almost 16 weeks are not roosting automatically yet. Prior to last week, they huddled. Now, each night, I am going out after they go into the coop by themselves and putting them on the roost. The first couple of nights, it was a battle of the wills...I put them up, they hop right down. 😣. After a few nights and me waiting till it was slightly darker, I'm winning. I put them on the roost and they are still there in the morning. Next accomplishment will be that they get up there by themselves.
I’m new to chicks so maybe it’s a developmental thing like PP said having no adults around to show them the ropes! I’ll go in tonight and put them on the roost.

My husband placed the roost directly under the ventilation so I am thinking maybe it’s too cold for them there? It’s about 2 or 3 feet high.
Is it easy for them to get up and down from the roost?
Pics of coop and roosts might help here.

Oh and... Welcome to BYC! @Esshea
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590327958921.png

Last night was the second night in the big coop for our pullets and to my surprise they all went to roost on their own after just one time of me setting them on it. Sometimes it has taken a few more assistance times. There could be an issue with accessibility to the roost. Ours is made like a wide apart ladder and set at an angle. They can walk up the vertices pieces or jump or fly to the horizontal roosts

View attachment 2157168
I’ll add my location. Thanks for the easy directions how to do so :)

View attachment 2157168

This is what my husband built. He will be installing the nesting boxes along the wall behind those pathetic 2x2 baby roosts in the next month. They will be external and not take space from the inside of the coop. He will also be expanding the run. The wall he’s installing the nesting boxes in happens to be the wall they all pile against and sleep. The ventilation is directly above the roost he put in and I am wondering if maybe it’s too high for them.
He still has some finishing touches with the roof to do. Surprisingly no rain gets in 😂

Attachments

• 8D9D130F-7726-45B3-9C7B-DB371EB65B5A.jpeg
    8D9D130F-7726-45B3-9C7B-DB371EB65B5A.jpeg
    818.9 KB · Views: 10
  • D57F3EB3-6BD2-457D-A595-19EEEBD49793.jpeg
    D57F3EB3-6BD2-457D-A595-19EEEBD49793.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ABF98EEE-FE8D-4E23-82A9-E2B968E551BA.jpeg
    ABF98EEE-FE8D-4E23-82A9-E2B968E551BA.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 7124D0E6-DE32-48EE-A4D7-5EBC7E5A7569.jpeg
    7124D0E6-DE32-48EE-A4D7-5EBC7E5A7569.jpeg