9 week olds/outdoor temp question

M

member 615286

9 week EE and Welsummer.
They have been outside with no heat in recent weeks into the 20s (F)
Upcoming temps… (photo attached)
Run is protected from elements but not 100% draft free.
Coop is kind of small to lock them in (10 sq ft)?

Should I let them roam the run or keep in the coop?

Thank you !

Attachments

• 02422BCB-51B3-404C-BEB4-A6D9464C3BDE.png
    02422BCB-51B3-404C-BEB4-A6D9464C3BDE.png
    838.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 74EDF23E-77F9-46AE-8361-D70A272C9E7A.png
    74EDF23E-77F9-46AE-8361-D70A272C9E7A.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • DA7C4A6B-6E40-493B-AE12-40138A4502EE.png
    DA7C4A6B-6E40-493B-AE12-40138A4502EE.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
I'd let them decide, as long as they're willing to go in and out of the coop during day time as needed for shelter (sometimes chicks/young birds won't).
They have not been going in and out of their coop during the day.
It’s been for the last hour and currently snowing and windy and in the teens and they have been huddled on their roost in the run chirping, just now moving into the coop as it’s getting dark.
Any additional thoughts ?

I'd let them decide, as long as they're willing to go in and out of the coop during day time as needed for shelter (sometimes chicks/young birds won't).
I’m also back to wondering if I should turn on the heater plate(?!)
Sub zero (F) at 9 weeks..?

They have not been going in and out of their coop during the day.
It’s been for the last hour and currently snowing and windy and in the teens and they have been huddled on their roost in the run chirping, just now moving into the coop as it’s getting dark.
Well at least they're going in as it gets dark, so they're sensible enough to do that.
I’m also back to wondering if I should turn on the heater plate(?!)
Sub zero (F) at 9 weeks..?
Iffy on that (also I don't get those types of temperatures). On one hand they should be feathered enough to do okay in those temps, on the other it's probably nervewracking to worry over if they'll do okay in those temps.

I assume the plate is wall mounted, so they could choose to use it if needed?

Well at least they're going in as it gets dark, so they're sensible enough to do that.

Iffy on that (also I don't get those types of temperatures). On one hand they should be feathered enough to do okay in those temps, on the other it's probably nervewracking to worry over if they'll do okay in those temps.

I assume the plate is wall mounted, so they could choose to use it if needed?
The plate is mounted on the wall under the roost. It had a heater setting and brooder setting. The latter doesn’t do anything unless they are leaning against it.

Do you think they’d leave the roost and know to huddle against it on the floor if they need the heat?
The heater setting is hot to the touch and I am unsure how it will heat the small space.
Thank you !

The plate is mounted on the wall under the roost. It had a heater setting and brooder setting. The latter doesn’t do anything unless they are leaning against it.

Do you think they’d leave the roost and know to huddle against it on the floor if they need the heat?
The heater setting is hot to the touch and I am unsure how it will heat the small space.
Thank you !
Have they ever used the plate while inside the coop space before (that is to say, do they know it's there?) Probably wouldn't hurt to leave it on brooder setting, if that doesn't get too hot, in case they want it.

Have they ever used the plate while inside the coop space before (that is to say, do they know it's there?) Probably wouldn't hurt to leave it on brooder setting, if that doesn't get too hot, in case they want it.
They haven’t. I’ve had it on the heater setting since the coop door closed:

It’s 14F outside, 30F in the coop.
I’m less worried about it over heating now but since the space is small and the heater plate is hot to the touch, is this dangerous for them (or they’ll know to stay away from it if they realize it’s hot)?

Photo below (there is about a foot between the roost and the wall with the heater)…
*thank you*!!!

Attachments

• 36E032C2-7A6E-4528-94A7-E22016EBA989.png
    36E032C2-7A6E-4528-94A7-E22016EBA989.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
They haven’t. I’ve had it on the heater setting since the coop door closed:

It’s 14F outside, 30F in the coop.
I’m less worried about it over heating now but since the space is small and the heater plate is hot to the touch, is this dangerous for them (or they’ll know to stay away from it if they realize it’s hot)?
30F in coop should be just fine for healthy 9 week olds.

My guess is they won't touch the plate (especially if it's hot) but I don't use any heat sources once chicks are moved into the coop (but different climate too of course).

Back
Top Bottom