911 goslings delayed in shipment- very weak

BBHF1775

Songster
Feb 10, 2020
NY State
HELP, our ducklings and gosling shipped out Monday and only arrived at post office today Friday . The ducklings were dead but goslings are stil alive. I’ve been putting droplets of water with electrolytes probiotics and a spoon of sugar on their beaks. What else can I do? They’re under the heating plate but one is barely hanging on, almost refusing the water (beak tightly clamped) and it’s beak is purple ish. How frequently should I be giving them water?
Thanks so much 😞

And any other advice you may have is appreciated. FYI they are under a heating plate, very snug together. One has come out for some water. I do have a little dish of feed mixed with water but no interest yet. The one is still so fragile and sleepy ☹️

Oh dear. What was shipped with them, food and water wise? How were they packaged? Where did you order them from? How was the temperature to and from their route? Treatment kind of depends if it was lack of nutrition, hydration, oxygen, heat, cooling, overall stress and handling.

Oh dear. What was shipped with them, food and water wise? How were they packaged? Where did you order them from? How was the temperature to and from their route? Treatment kind of depends if it was lack of nutrition, hydration, oxygen, heat, cooling, overall stress and handling.
Thank you for responding so quickly 💛They were shipped with gel, but it was completely empty. Heat pack no longer warm. Fortunately the weather this week wasn’t too cold. They traveled from California to New York and sat in the hands of the US PS for 2 extra days. They were ordered from my pet chicken but I am pretty sure they shipped from Metzer Farms. The stronger one has perked up quite a but the weaker one also has accepted some water it doesn’t want to stand. Any other thoughts on care?

Sorry, I’m so scatter. I have to think their issue was nutrition and heat. Of course stress too

Can you add nutri-drench to their water?
I’ll get some now. They currently have water mixed with chick probiotic powder, a bit of sugar and a vitamin & electrolyte powder to make sure they get niacin. They are much more interested in drinking now, no interest in food at all. I mixed up some crumble with warm water into it very soupy mix but no interest yet

Try to get some liquid B complex along with the nutri-drench, goslings require a lot of niacin and thiamin, the liquid can be dripped right down their beaks.
I don't understand this concept. I've never seen a chick, duck or gosling stick their tongue their out and lick liquid off their beaks to get a drink. You have to get the liquid in their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom