911 my chick is sick and I need help

newchicki

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 12, 2013
My chick I got her on Nov with two others they are fine, she is not gaining any weight and is very thin she is always trying to drink water and eat her food and mix it with the water the water isnalwaysbwith food I see her gasping for air like she is shocking I did the q tip test to check for grape worms did not saw anything, I check the crop I don't think is full but I massage it and it was like watery gave her bread soak in olive oil and bought safeguard to see if they are worm. Here where I live no one know nothing :(about chickens I am new at this need help all I know is because of you guys :(

I forgot to say her toes are sooo cold and curl up she is standing on them like that she just poop it was big not be graphic, gave her more to drink vit and electrolytes

your doing good with the electrolytes keep giving them to her as directed. for the cold toes you can bring her inside you can put her in the bathtub or bathroom, put a heating pad under a blanket and make sure her water is fresh and her food should be like a mush to help her digest easier you can put crickets, small mealworms, plain yogurt not non fat, plain cheap oatmeal, a dash of regular table salt, and 1/4 to a teaspoon of olive oil. but before that check her to see if her mouth smells of sour milk or rotten food if so she might have something called sour crop its were their crop isnt moving the food around and the food is just rotting in there and then you will have to give her no food at all, none offer water here and there with electrolytes but mostly give her olive oil and very gently massage her crop around this will slicken the food and make it easier to go down. now this is the risky part it is completly up to you if she seems lathargic wrap her in a towel tip her upside down and she should puke. the reason its risky is because the puke could go down the wind pipe and then to her lungs. also what color or texture was her poop was it runny, soft, normal, brown, yellow, bloody, ect. If you have any questions at all ask them. keep me posted and goodluck.

Please don't give her olive oil since she can aspirate it, and she has more of a breathing problem, not impacted crop. Gasping can be a sign of respiratory infections such as mycoplasma and ILT (infectious laryngotracheitis.) It also can be a sign of aspergillosis, a fungus infection from mold. Has she lost her voice or is she still vocal? Mycoplasma will also have watery eyes, nasal drainage, and sometimes swelling around the eye. It can be treated with antibiotics such as Tylan, Gallimycin, and Tetracycline. ILT and aspergillosis will not responds to antibiotics. The curled toes maybe a sign of vitamin deficiency. Here is a list of these diseases to read about them: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom