911!!

You are only treating chickens that have symptoms. When this cropped up in my flock, I had a hen die of it in the first 24 hours because I didn't know what I was dealing with. One week later another got sick with the same symptoms. I recognized them in time and started her on amoxycillin, and she recovered fully. I now know the symptoms and behavior and jump right on it.

You will dose 250mg once a day for ten days with the amoxycillin.

Antibiotics I keep on hand include Tylan 50, amoxycillin, and sulfa powder in case I get serious coccidiosis with serious bleeding. I've added others as well, but the three I mentioned are the most versatile and can treat a broad variety of infection.

You are only treating chickens that have symptoms. When this cropped up in my flock, I had a hen die of it in the first 24 hours because I didn't know what I was dealing with. One week later another got sick with the same symptoms. I recognized them in time and started her on amoxycillin, and she recovered fully. I now know the symptoms and behavior and jump right on it.

You will dose 250mg once a day for ten days with the amoxycillin.

Antibiotics I keep on hand include Tylan 50, amoxycillin, and sulfa powder in case I get serious coccidiosis with serious bleeding. I've added others as well, but the three I mentioned are the most versatile and can treat a broad variety of infection.
Thank you so much! Seriously I cant even begin to tell you how thankful I am! I wish I could repay the favor. Your time is valuable and at the end of the day none of you HAVE to choose to use some of it giving advice to a frantic lunatic on the internet! 🤣So I have it right now in hand she has the 500mg capsules. What do u put half of the powder in in order for me to dose her?

Your appreciation and making a chicken well again is why I spend time doing this. If you spend years here on BYC, as I have, someday you will be helping people save their chickens, too. This is what makes this site so successful and valuable. After I'm used up and just a distant memory, you and others will be carrying on.

I came up with an easy way to deal with a 500mg capsule. I open it up, either by twisting the gel cap apart or cutting off one end. Have a sheet of note paper on the table to catch the powder. Divide it into two equal piles. Don't fret if you can't get them perfectly equal as it all will average out over the next ten days.

I then take a half inch square of bread and dip it into some olive oil. I take that and sop up the powder of one of the piles. Pour the other pile of powder into a little shot glass or similar small container for tomorrow.

Giving a chicken the bread is easy since chickens are suckers for bread. If your hen is too sick to want to eat it, pry open her beak and shove it in. She will automatically swallow it. I've found that some chickens object to the bitter taste of the amoxy, so I just sprinkle it with a little sugar to hide the taste.

Thank u! And tonight is suppose to be a low of 38 here in Stephentown! And more snow. I live 12 mins from Jiminy Peak! Today wasn’t as bad!
Can you bring her inside for heat while she is unwell? Getting her warmed up would help her chances of recovery. Do you know if she is shivering? Once her temperature is stable, she might need some hydration. Will she drink on her own?

Your appreciation and making a chicken well again is why I spend time doing this. If you spend years here on BYC, as I have, someday you will be helping people save their chickens, too. This is what makes this site so successful and valuable. After I'm used up and just a distant memory, you and others will be carrying on.

I came up with an easy way to deal with a 500mg capsule. I open it up, either by twisting the gel cap apart or cutting off one end. Have a sheet of note paper on the table to catch the powder. Divide it into two equal piles. Don't fret if you can't get them perfectly equal as it all will average out over the next ten days.

I then take a half inch square of bread and dip it into some olive oil. I take that and sop up the powder of one of the piles. Pour the other pile of powder into a little shot glass or similar small container for tomorrow.

Giving a chicken the bread is easy since chickens are suckers for bread. If your hen is too sick to want to eat it, pry open her beak and shove it in. She will automatically swallow it. I've found that some chickens object to the bitter taste of the amoxy, so I just sprinkle it with a little sugar to hide the taste.
I know! I have helped with other things and advice on chicks and things I’ve dealt with this tho..never! my mind was blown! And again you’re greatly appreciated I seriously can’t say it enough! That is very clever with the bread! I always forget that chickens can swallow a pretty decent sized item object or whatever they try to eat that they find :he When will I start to notice a turn around in her after her first dose?And is this once or 2x a day? Also! (I’m so sorry for all the questions u probably want to bang ur head off a door also by now😂) I just finally met up with mom after getting kids to bed for school and got the amoxicillin and noticed it says discard after 03/05/20! Isn’t it still ok to use at least for now to get something into her until our arrive in mail? I thought I read some where if anything amoxicillin will not harm u if taken past expiration it anything it just loses some potency?

Edit:My bad I just re read it while I am dividing it and saw u say put half away for tomorrow so I’m assuming she will get it once a day for next 10days. It’s midnight here and I’m exhausted physically and emotionally from chicken debacle today.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the expiration date. It's good for several years beyond that. You are to give 250mg per day. That is the daily dose for an average size chicken. Others like to divide it into two 125mg doses and give those twice a day, but I'm much too busy to do that, so my patients just get the one 250mg dose, and it seems to work out just fine.

If your patient is going to respond to the amoxycillin, you will see definite improvement in just 24 hours. Extremely sick chickens who have a hammered immune system may take longer, and one who has had the infection long enough for the bacteria to absolutely overwhelm their bodies, probably won't improve, but will die.

So, get the first dose into your hen immediately, and I'll be hoping to see a report here come morning that our patient is starting to feel much better.

Can you bring her inside for heat while she is unwell? Getting her warmed up would help her chances of recovery. Do you know if she is shivering? Once her temperature is stable, she might need some hydration. Will she drink on her own?
So I’ve had her inside during the day with me until I have to run errands or whatever I have going on. But right now she’s in her coop it’s sealed up so no drafts and I have one of those pads like those big heating pads they sit on as well as one of those night bulbs that give off heat but won’t disturb them! I ended up switching to them after awhile Of other options not working to well and Red bulbs scare me! She’s not shivering I just went in she’s cozied up. I had her drink some more of the water with electrolytes in it she’s snuggled up. I can’t bring her in anywhere at night because I have to sleep and I have a cat. And I’m not even joking he can open our doors. We have those handles you pull down on to open as opposed to standard door knob. So I would either have to stay up completely (and I’ve been up since 7am) or coop?

Don't worry about the expiration date. It's good for several years beyond that. You are to give 250mg per day. That is the daily dose for an average size chicken. Others like to divide it into two 125mg doses and give those twice a day, but I'm much too busy to do that, so my patients just get the one 250mg dose, and it seems to work out just fine.

If your patient is going to respond to the amoxycillin, you will see definite improvement in just 24 hours. Extremely sick chickens who have a hammered immune system may take longer, and one who has had the infection long enough for the bacteria to absolutely overwhelm their bodies, probably won't improve, but will die.

So, get the first dose into your hen immediately, and I'll be hoping to see a report here come morning that our patient is starting to feel much better.
Yes!! It went down the shoot 15mins ago! I did exactly as u said step by step I even so much as made sure it was exactly a half inch piece of bread lol not even kidding. I almost shit it looked like she wasn’t going to swallow at first so I gave it another little gentle poke and boop down it went. Then I had her drink a little water! I’m so thankful for you seriously I know i keep saying it but that’s all I can do at this point 😂 I will report to u asap in the morning as soon as I can! My first born turns 11yr old tomorrow so I got a lot to get done but she will be the first thing I attend to as soon as the kiddies are on the bus at 8:20 sharp as per usual!

Back
Top Bottom