9ish week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Syndier, Sep 10, 2013.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your red cockerel would probably be best described as a "Production Red," which is a red bird bred for egg production. He reminds me a bit of the offspring of a Red Sex Link. Since RSL are hybrids themselves, their offspring would be considered mixed breed.

Your blue bird is an Easter Egger. Now that I see a close-up of the face, I wonder if that one isn't a cockerel as well--that comb looks a bit fat in the closeup photo, and with the slow-feathering rump.... well, let's just say it could go either way and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

Where did you get the birds? Ash looks like he/she might be an actual Ameraucana.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Syndier

Syndier In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    [​IMG] Hoping for at least one of them hens! Can you keep more then one rooster in a coop or would they fight? Our babies can't be free range due to hungry dogs. And I would hate to trade one in, we love them both [​IMG]
    A friend of the family got a bunch of chicks given to her and she let us have some. These were the two that we could catch. In theory we could get another when they start looking more pullet/cockerel ish. Would love an EE, I like colored eggs.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You can keep more than one rooster in a coop in two situations:
    1. you have enough hens, typically at least 8-10 per rooster
    2. you only have males in that pen

Otherwise, if you have a small flock and multiple males, they will fight with each other and over-mate the hens, stressing them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: