9week old Pullet slightly lethargic/one eye closed

Giersons

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Good morning fellow chicken moms!
I am new to raising chickens and I have 5 barred rocks; one suffered from what I thought was heat stress 2days ago. It unexpectedly got to 96 degrees here and her and her sibilngs were not having it outside despite box fans, extra water/electrolytes, and frozen watermelon. So I brought them inside during the day, then put them back out in the coop that night when it cooled down. Next morning my one chickpea did not recover like the rest- she was limp not eating/drinking and was keeping one eye closed which was new.

Immediately I isolated her and pushed fluids and some hard boiled eggs with water. She perked up a little and I noticed she wasn’t pooping- so I gave her a warm soak in the tub and 10min later she poop a slightly green large amount for her stool. I kept her inside all day day 2 again because it was another 95+ day. She perked up substantially towards the end of the day and I reunited her with her flock. She was playing eating and foraging but still squinting, but pooping normal.

This morning she’s less active but I wouldn’t say lethargic and still closing her one eye (she will open it on her own from time to time). She’s eating and drinking but she kind of just chilling and sleeping this morning (which is unusual first thing in the am).

Nothing observed in the eye, wiped it clean just in case, put bacitracin over it. Crop, vent and all check out ok. No eye drainage, pupils dilate normal, no nose drainage, no lesions no lice/mites. Gave her one dose via syringe of rooster booster and Corid just in case- WHAT AM I MISSING? Lol this momma is at a loss, can heat exhaustion do this?

I'd say you are on top of all these developments. Good job.

The little one may just have a sore, perhaps injured eye. Chickens keep a sore eye closed, just as humans are wont to do when we have a sore eye. Flush it well with saline eye drops twice a day, and put the ointment twice a day in the eye, not just on the outside.

I'd say you are on top of all these developments. Good job.

The little one may just have a sore, perhaps injured eye. Chickens keep a sore eye closed, just as humans are wont to do when we have a sore eye. Flush it well with saline eye drops twice a day, and put the ointment twice a day in the eye, not just on the outside.
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy and was like could it be as simple as she just hurt or got something in her eye and is just being dramatic. Lol

I have been putting the ointment on the outside- so good to know I can put it inside! Will do.

Back
Top Bottom