9wk old chick keeps falling over

Dragonsangel

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
I am a first time chicken owner and recently introduced growing pellets to the chicken crumb, since then it seems to be wobbly on its feet and keeps falling over.
we think it’s a he and he is 9 weeks old is it the feed or should I be taking him to the vets

Last edited:
I am a first time chicken owner and recently introduced growing pellets to the chicken crumb, since then it seems to be wobbly on its feet and keeps falling over.
we think it’s a he and he is 6 weeks old is it the feed or should I be taking him to the vets
I am not an expert but, I wanted to respond because I understand the urgency and concern.
Until an expert reads your post, Try giving your chick a drink of hydro-hen electrolytes water.
Feeding young chicks pellets is probably not a good idea as they're crop is immature. Feeding the chick starter crumbles are far superior.
Check its crop this morning as it might be unable to empty and is full. Therefore, your chick hasnt eaten even though it's trying too.
If its full, then you have a crop issue that needs help now.

I miss calculated they are 9 weeks today, could it still be a crop issues please, thank you for answering as yes I am very worried

Glad to help.
It's very un nerving sometimes.
Also get that crop moving!! I have never made a chick vomit but, I did message it to help get it moving. I also fed coconut oil to get it moving. Then, I offered unsweetened yogurt. Because, he is probably hungry. Then I mixed crumbles in the yogurt for a week. Always making sure that lil crop empties. No treats. Only crumbles.
It's very important to make sure that crop is empty every morning.
I check my big girls daily before they eat. I think good maintenance and daily handling of every bird helps ward off mishaps. And of course Sweet talking to them.

we think it’s a he and he is 6 weeks old is it the feed or should I be taking him to the vets
I like to use starter tee grower feed So I don’t have to switch out foods, However I do recommend taking it to a vet

Thank you great advice I keep a little book for stuff I learning as I found it more useful than the books I brought and your tips are going in it highlighted 🥰

So we have separated him and keeping him quiet and he loved the coconut oil and chick crumb 🤞🏻

Attachments

• 13C3580F-8B15-4975-8A45-113486F3A0FB.jpeg
    13C3580F-8B15-4975-8A45-113486F3A0FB.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom