A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
would it be feesable to get a nuc of bees this late in the year? would they be able to get enough honey/pollen stored for the winter?

I am a newbie in S. Michigan. I have two Top Bar hives. I split the first hive a week ago, and put the split in the second hive. So far, all is going well. Thinking ahead to Michigan winters, I am wondering what others do to care for their bees in our cold winters. Do you insulate and if you do, how? Thanks for any input!

I am a beekeeper. One of the local beekeeping associations sponsors a youth beekeeper every year to get them started. I was sponsored by them three years ago. I currently have two hives.

Quote:
Good job!
thumbsup.gif

I love the paint job on your hives! So many people think they have to paint hives basic white. We have our painted a mossy green, but I have a friend that has his painted in assorted bright colors.

Last edited:
To other beeks on the Forum: I started using the green drone frames this year and have had some success with them being filled. Per what I understand you are suppose to do with them once they get about half full of drone brood, I put the frames in the freezer for a couple of days until all of the larvae is dead. Then I put the frames back in the hives and the remaining bees clean them up really well. My question is, have any of you tried feeding bee larvae to your chickens? I have to believe they would be pretty happy hens with that kind of treat, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks.

Quote:
I haven't done as I haven't needed to use my drone comb yet, but I know a small commercial apiary that uses them and allows his chickens to clean out the green plastic drone comb frames. Great protein for your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom