A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
If the hive is kept in an out of the way place (off-limits and out of sight of the kids) I don't think it would be a problem. While I see mine around the yard here and there, they never bother me when I'm away from the hive and I think that, like most creatures, if left alone they will leave you alone.

Thanks for your advice, NevadaRon! So you don't think 1/2 acre (our backyard is on the back half of this 1/2 acre) is too "close quarters" for a bee swarm and 3 kids? And how would you suggest I go about getting beekeeping equipment?

Your welcome mommameg! I am relatively new, too - I just got my hive last spring. I would recommend looking for someone local who can provide you with everything you need to get started, including the bees. That's what I did and it worked out very well. There were a few items that are must-haves (in my opinion) that weren't included, most of which were suggested to me by people in this forum (yay!). I bought most of those from an online source - Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. I've been very happy with the items I've ordered from them and they have a huge selection.

Last edited:
Well, I'll have to check into that. The only professional beekeeper I know of is about a half hour away, and then another 1 1/2 hours away. I'll have to get in touch with them when the time comes. We just got chickens and ducks this spring, and I'm trying to take "baby steps" with my husband, because he's not too keen on the whole "bees in your backyard" thing. City boy. LOL So I figure the more I know, the more I can help him see the benefits and warm him up to the idea!

If you have a place that you can pick up your equipment rather than have it shipped you will save a lot on shipping costs. Shipping wood boxes is costly. About the only place that offers free shipping all the time (on orders over $100.) is Mann Lake. They are very good to deal with too.

I'm getting bees in a few weeks, I've been reading books and trying to absorb everything anyone has to offer me. I'm scared that I'm not going to be successful at this. How do I keep them fed. How much honey do I leave for them, how do I winterize them? There is so much I need to learn, everyone is going on telling me its pretty much second nature and ill learn as I go. But I'm so nervous about keeping them. Not so much the bees themselves.... I say that now lol!! Anyone have ANYTHING!!! Anything to offer it is much much much appreciated. The more I learn the better ill feel.
Thank you!

When the bees come what all do I need to set up? How many boxes? Do I need something in the frames to help them get started or are they okay with being empty frames inside the box?

It's a lot easier than you think! Just set up one box at first. Spray the empty frames with sugar water on both sides. That will get them crawling over them and then they will start drawing comb. I fed mine one gallon of sugar water per week. Also, depending on conditions where you live, you might want to give them pollen substitute patties. That was necessary here in Northern Nevada because there aren't a lot of flowering plants in spring - summer an fall is when plants flower here. Not sure about Northern Idaho as I've never been there. You won't get any honey the first year. After that, you can place honey supers (which aren't as deep as the brood supers) on top of a queen excluder - a screen that keeps the queen from coming into the honey super and laying eggs. This is the honey you get to keep. They will also have honey in the brood supers which is what they winter with. You can supplement their stored honey with fondant or "bee candy" in winter, but don't open the hive when it's really cold!

I'm getting bees in a few weeks, I've been reading books and trying to absorb everything anyone has to offer me. I'm scared that I'm not going to be successful at this. How do I keep them fed. How much honey do I leave for them, how do I winterize them? There is so much I need to learn, everyone is going on telling me its pretty much second nature and ill learn as I go. But I'm so nervous about keeping them. Not so much the bees themselves.... I say that now lol!! Anyone have ANYTHING!!! Anything to offer it is much much much appreciated. The more I learn the better ill feel.
Thank you!
If you ask 10 different bee keepers for their opinion you will get 13 different opinions because 3 will change their mind before they get through. Most every bee keeper does things in a little different way but it usually works. You just have to see what works best for you.

Here are some links that might help get you on the right track;
dl.commentcamarche.net/en.kioskea.net/download/files/TheE-BookOnHoneyBees-1.0.pdf
www.beginningbeekeeping.com/BackYardBeekeeping.pdf
www.clemson.edu/extension/county/oconee/programs/beekeeping/Honey_Bee_Life_Cycle_in_Pictures.pd
The Honey Bee (Apis mellifera), life-cycle structure and behavior. Biology article by D G Mackean
pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/PDFs/AGRS116.pdf
Frame Assembly » Ohio State Beekeepers Association

I hope this will help, good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Our bees are multiplying! Caught them last year as a swarm at a high school a few miles away. Quietly hanging on a tree limb. Cut the limb off, set it in a clean trash can and brought them home. Also purchased a nuc the following week. The nuc died before fall and the swarm is growing strong and healthy! So excited!

Back
Top Bottom