A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

I was informed yesterday that my bees will be coming 2 weeks later than planned. This late cold weather has caused the delay. I know that by then the red buds will be in bloom and the locusts will be starting to bloom. I have no idea what would have been in bloom in the middle of April. I supposed daffodils and crocus. I have to learn the bloom cycles of my native species better.
Do you know what is blooming now in your area?

I was informed yesterday that my bees will be coming 2 weeks later than planned. This late cold weather has caused the delay. I know that by then the red buds will be in bloom and the locusts will be starting to bloom. I have no idea what would have been in bloom in the middle of April. I supposed daffodils and crocus. I have to learn the bloom cycles of my native species better.
Do you know what is blooming now in your area?

That happened to us last year except that they were due the end of march and we didn't get them until the beginning of May. The package producers couldn't make queens on time due to the cold & rainy weather.

Here are 2 links ~ one with pollen sources & one with nectar sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_American_nectar_sources_for_honey_bees

Another beekeeping thread on byc?? awesome! I'm currently on page 50. I love reading about everyones beek adventures.
pop.gif

I plan on starting my hive next year. I just recently got interested in it, and am reading a lot. That gives me plenty of time to research everything I need/want and slowly acquire it.
I just joined the local beekeepers assoc. and will be attending a beginners class in a couple of weeks.

My bees made it beautifully through winter this time!
celebrate.gif
Everything is in full bloom and it's time for me to add the honey super today! My hive has a nice, honey aroma when I walk up to it. The colony is very strong and doing great!

Here is a picture and a video of my bees a couple weeks ago. I was challenging myself to get a picture of a bee with her pollen sacs full.

And the hive activity:
vimeo_logo.png

Hey Happy Chooks,
I'm also in Nor cal, and am starting my hive next month. I see you have a couple years beekeeping under your belt, If you don't mind, may I pm you with questions that may arise. Since we're in the same area, weather conditions and such will all be similar. and I'd be interested in hearing what you've learned.
fl.gif

Ours have been delayed also, my package has been moved back from the 4 to the 14th.. We have a lot of ornamental s blooming and a lot of the spring wild flowers in bloom. But we live in coastal Ga. so we are running about on time. I need to check my hives, I should have to add another honey super, hopefully the weather will be good today.

Hello Bee people.

This may or may not be a straight forward answer to my question, but:

For a newbee, what equipment will I need? I want it to be fairly natural ( for bees anyway ), no fancy high tech things that may be out in the market these day. Just the essentials for simple bee keeping.
I am thinking may be 1-3 hives.

I would get the following, some of which can be made. with hand tools.

Hood, you can get Army surplus.
Gloves, you might be able to make them. I know people who use playtex gloves and a rubberband.
Smoker
Hive tool (can be purchased at hardware store)
Fox tail brush, another hardware store item.
SHB (small hive beetle) traps they will come.
10x powder sugar for mites.
White sugar for sugar water.
Talk to local beekeeper for what kind of feeder. Mine would freeze up there.

You can make your own hive just don't use pressurize treated lumber.
Frames not easy to cut. Unless you have the tools.
Plastic foundations are easier than wax.
A brad nailer or staple gun that shoots brads. A lot easier than a hammer for frames.
Paint for hive. I use leftover exterior latex. What ever color you like.
Mine are up on cinder blocks.

I'm sure that I've forgotten something.

Hey Happy Chooks,
I'm also in Nor cal, and am starting my hive next month. I see you have a couple years beekeeping under your belt, If you don't mind, may I pm you with questions that may arise. Since we're in the same area, weather conditions and such will all be similar. and I'd be interested in hearing what you've learned.
fl.gif
Of course, but there's no guarantee that I know the answer. I'm still learning too!

Hello Bee people.

This may or may not be a straight forward answer to my question, but:

For a newbee, what equipment will I need? I want it to be fairly natural ( for bees anyway ), no fancy high tech things that may be out in the market these day. Just the essentials for simple bee keeping.
I am thinking may be 1-3 hives.

Get a good bee suit. I got the jacket with the hood attached. (no pants attached) I love it.
You'll need a hive. I started out with 2 deeps, inner cover, outer lid and a super. (haven't used the super yet) I chose to pay a little more for the screened bottom board and I'm happy I did. Set it up off the ground (mine is on cinder blocks)
Hive tool.
Frame holder (it hangs on the edge of the box and you can put frames on it when you inspect)
Bee Brush
Smoker
Light colored, loose fitting pants. I got white painters pants at the paint store. Bees don't like dark colors.
Some sort of feeder. I have the entrance feeder. Some people feed from the top box.
I found the beekeeping gloves to be useless, I couldn't feel anything through them (and I'm not brave enough yet to go bare handed), so I use plain dishgloves at the grocery store. They are only a few bucks and they work really well.

And of course, you'll need bees.

Good thing I held off on putting on the super, it's snowing here this morning.
he.gif

Quote:

I would get the following, some of which can be made. with hand tools.

Hood, you can get Army surplus.
Gloves, you might be able to make them. I know people who use playtex gloves and a rubberband.
Smoker
Hive tool (can be purchased at hardware store)
Fox tail brush, another hardware store item.
SHB (small hive beetle) traps they will come.
10x powder sugar for mites.
White sugar for sugar water.
Talk to local beekeeper for what kind of feeder. Mine would freeze up there.

You can make your own hive just don't use pressurize treated lumber.
Frames not easy to cut. Unless you have the tools.
Plastic foundations are easier than wax.
A brad nailer or staple gun that shoots brads. A lot easier than a hammer for frames.
Paint for hive. I use leftover exterior latex. What ever color you like.
Mine are up on cinder blocks.

I'm sure that I've forgotten something.

Thank you two very much
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom