A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Are bees hard to take care of? Someone I know really wants to keep them but doesn't want to get stung and is afraid most of them will die in winter... What should I tell them?

Study it now, bee later.
If after he/she has studied up on it and has decided that is something he/she will have the time for, then spring is a better time to start a hive.
Have you friend call his county extension office. They can line him up with beekeeper organization. They will be glad to help.

The best way is to get with a beekeeper or a club in their area. That way they can see first hand what they are getting into.

I've always wanted bees, but am scared of the commitment, and of what it would cost. Can anyone tell me how much per month they spend and how much time they take?

I've always wanted bees, but am scared of the commitment, and of what it would cost. Can anyone tell me how much per month they spend and how much time they take?

Start up costs ~ using a standard Langstroth hive and typical protective clothing and tools ~ is roughly $350. plus bees which are about $100. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page3.html

The price can go up or down depending in what you choose.

After the initial start up costs ~ the are not a lot of monthly expenses. We feed ours in the fall, so we do buy white cane sugar by the 25 pound bag. We have 20 hives so we do buy quite a few of them.
If you choose to treat for varroa mites ~ there is a small cost there.

Some people never buy any "extras" and others spend a lot. My husband like to have all of the "toys" so we have spent a little more than we would have had to. This is our "Retirement Hobby" and we don't travel or spend money on fancy cars, clothing or jewelry ~ so we splurge a little here.

Extracting equipment can be expensive if you choose to buy it. Many Beekeepers' Club have extractors that they will loan out.

Mann Lake is a good source for equipment as they have free shipping over $100. Wood is heavy and shipping can be expensive. I also suggest looking for a local supplier of wood ware if you can find one.

We check our hives about every 10 to 2 weeks during the spring and summer. We can do all 20 hives in a day. It should take less than an hour for a beginner to check one hive. They take much less time and effort to care for than chickens.

I suggest you try to find a Beekeepers' Club in your area and start attending meetings. The best time to start a hive is early spring. Late summer and Fall are not good if you live in an area with cold winters. I'm not sure about areas in the south and west where it maybe much milder.

I earned my 1st new hive sting!
I was inspecting my hive frame by frame yesterday. One of the bees managed to find a less than zipped zipper in my bee keeping jacket. She crawled up to my shoulder blade Inside my jacket. I must have semi squished her when leaning over and BAM she hit me.

It hurt, but about half as much as I thought it would/should. Iches like crazy today.

The bee only freaked me out when she wiggled past my collar and flew around inside my veil. I didn't know if I had more than 1 inside my jacket by then. My chickens must have thought I was doing an impression of them at this point.
Ha ha ha

A bee inside the veil!
Yikes!
Once I was in my backyard wearing a pair of Capri pants. I wasn't working my hives but standing rather near them. One lovely lady decided to land on my pant leg and proceeded to crawl up the inside. Higher and higher she went. I began to panic, anticipating a sharp pain in a rather delicate area. With a quick glance to the left and the right I verified that my next door neighbors weren't out in their yards. I dropped my pants, let the girl out, pulled my pants back up and went on my way. Look Ma, no stings!

gig.gif

Not sure I would have cared about the neighbors or not!

Haha good job! If you wouldn't have done that and she stung you wouldn't she have died? If so, you saved a life by pulling down your pants... Lol never thought I'd say that!

Too funny Deb B
Most people are afraid of bees only because the haven't learned much about them. And because they have been attacked by wasps and equate them with bees.

It really takes a lot of mistakes in a row to get stung.

The Italian and Russian bee are pretty laid back. I only got hit because I was squishing that bee in my jacket. She was in there for quite a while before I freaked her out enough for her to sting me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom