A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Well, looks like I am doing what I can do. I apologize for forgetting to mention that this is a top bar hive - but bees are bees. The syrup is in a feeder inside the back of the hive. The robbing started during a time when I was not feeding the bees - there were hardly any honey stores when I checked. So I decided to start feeding organic sugar syrup - no additives, nothing that would increase the aroma to attract robbers. The hive is still kind of small, there is a queen who looks fine. There are healthy looking larvae, capped brood, and a little honey.

Today the State Apiary Inspector came to do an inspection on our hives. We were surprised to discover that our nuc (which we plan to overwinter) has 2 queens right now. They seem to be co-existing right now and we have decided to let nature take it's course and let them both in the nuc as it is too late in the year to do a split.

Wow, I didn't think 2 queens would live together in the same hive. Very intriguing.

It can occur in about 20% of hives. It is often the result of a supercedure of the older queen which might be failing. The daughter queen will allow her mother to remain in the hive for a while before finally killing her .

Sometimes in a very large hive they may co-exist for a longer time. Usually beekeepers only ever see one queen because after they see a queen, they quit looking for another.

We need to arrange for an inspection. The inspector guy was not too keen on inspecting a new hive, and wanted us to wait. Both brood boxes are on now, so It should be established enough.
(I weeded and planted more flowers in my bee garden and mulched. It looks really nice.
I want the guy to think we are responsible bee owners.)

How do you get the number tag on the queen?
It looks like a cap. glue?

I don't think I have the dexterity for something like that with those big old gloves on. I'd glue them all together. It would be a disaster.

Have a question. For those who are in or near ohio when should I start feeding my bees?

You can start feeding liquid syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) in your area around the Beginning of Sept. after all of your honey supers have been removed.

I am in Pennsylvania and don't feed liquid after mid-Oct as it is too difficult for the bees to get the moisture out and cap it before they cluster for the winter. Too much moisture in the hive over the winter can kill the bees.

If they still need fed I switch to a fondant or bee candy. There are plenty of recipes on the internet to make it. I use sugar, water and Pro Health by Mann Lake or Honey B Healthy in mine.

I your area it is usually said that they should have about 60 pounds of stores for the winter.

Also ~ time to put a mouse guard on if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom