A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

It is very possible that bears will be attracted to your hives.  The only way I know of to keep bears away from hives is to surround the hives with an electric fence.

Thank you.....guess I may rethink this....lots of bears here. I don't know if they would go for the chickens or not. I don't want to put the birds at risk. We haven't seen any right here for years....that does not mean they are not around.....but they are all over the county and have even been reported inside the city limits. They used to trap them but I don't think they do that any more. We are beside a game refuge sooooo

I also know somebody that has 3 hives that put up electric fence to keep out bears. I don't think they have ever had a bear encounter, but it is preventative.

I'll have to think about it....I am not happy thinking about drawing in bears. Or using electric fence ...I know someone down the road has bees......but they are on the road and we are in the edge of the BIG woods. Any other comments, advice or knowledge? I know when they get used to getting into something they are not easy to discourage. Even the city has bear proof trash cans. BUT I really want bees, lol.

Thanks for the info. i think I'm going to get an Elderberry tree/bush? as well. I have a green thumb so I'm pretty sure it'll live, meanwhile, I'll see if the health food store here has some. Thanks! :)

Even the city has bear proof trash cans. BUT I really want bees, lol.
Sooo... the way my mind thinks is: Get one of those trash cans and fit a hive in it.

I have really enjoyed my bees this past summer. They are a friendly calm group of ladies.

I do not know if they will be productive for honey or for pollination, but I love the smell of honey wafting by me when I am in their garden weeding, and I like the buzz as they lumber by. It just makes me happy. I hope you can get some.

Thanks for the info. i think I'm going to get an Elderberry tree/bush? as well. I have a green thumb so I'm pretty sure it'll live, meanwhile, I'll see if the health food store here has some. Thanks! :)

I checked ....mine is Natural Elderberry Concentrate by Natural Sources in San Clemente, CA. it is available on Amazon for less than I pay locally. This brand has worked for me. You may want to buy some to use while waiting for your plants to mature. I remember picking them wild in Ohio......but I don't remember them in Tennessee or here in Virginia. I used to love picking them and eating them.....that was many years ago. :)

Went to check on the hive today and all the bees are dead.
sad.png
I think it was a combination of too much moisture and a January-like cold snap for most of November.

Back
Top Bottom