A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

I believe they swarm when there is a new queen..some leave with the old queen (about 60%) & some stay with the new one...correct me if I'm wrong...

Hoping to get a hive next spring!! :)

I LOVE your profile pic
smile.png

My bees swarmed this summer and unfortunately did not leave a replacement queen, so I will be buying a new batch in the spring. To top it off, when they swarmed they went into the road and were struck by a pickup - who knows if the queen survived.

Wild bees often build hives in places where they can expand, such as dead trees and inside building roofs or walls. American native bees do not make hives and store honey, the bees we keep are european/asian in origin and have been selected for storing honey, usually much more than a single hive can use. If you want bees to stay around your place for purposes of fertilization, then managing a hive is the best way to make sure they do not head out for the next county, or succumb to toxins, infections and parasites.

There are also ways to encourage native bees to hang around http://extension.umaine.edu/publications/7153e/

Native bees of North America http://bugguide.net/node/view/475348

If you have a swarming hive their queen cells will be at the bottom of the frame. The best thing to do is split the hive so it doesn't swarm.

I have 2 topbar books now and I have been watching youtube videoes. I see now how simple they are to make. I still don't know that I can do it...but it should be much easier to find someone else to do it now that I understand more about them. I am still concerned about bears...but I am going to speak to someone within a mile of me who I see keeps bees and I will see what I can learn from them. Also thru fb I found a person in my county who has topbars and has said in the spring I can come see her setup. Sooooo...... I am just going to take it a step at a time. Also the actual bees are higher priced than I expected....but I can save the money if I decide this is for me. I watched some girls on youtibe gather honey without even wearing long sleeves...is that usual?

I have 2 topbar books now and I have been watching youtube videoes. I see now how simple they are to make. I still don't know that I can do it...but it should be much easier to find someone else to do it now that I understand more about them. I am still concerned about bears...but I am going to speak to someone within a mile of me who I see keeps bees and I will see what I can learn from them. Also thru fb I found a person in my county who has topbars and has said in the spring I can come see her setup. Sooooo...... I am just going to take it a step at a time. Also the actual bees are higher priced than I expected....but I can save the money if I decide this is for me. I watched some girls on youtibe gather honey without even wearing long sleeves...is that usual?
If the bees are peaceful the bees wont care what you are doing with them, but if ur allergic dont risk it

Back
Top Bottom